M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to have this bike it was a fat tire bike back in 85
Now that rear tire from the ZL900 Eliminator is on my front ....funny how things change.

I Loved to drag race it back in the day

When I was told about this new bike out in 06 (The 109r)
A buddy said to me that the 9 looks like the Eliminator on steroids
Well it was love at first sight I had to have the 109

I am thinking of buying an Eliminator I can get it under $2000. with low miles

I don't know why,
I guess i'm feeling nostalgic I don't really need another bike
maybe the GF could ride it

What do you all think???

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
My cousin had an Eliminator back in the day. Very fun bike and easy to launch. When he seen my 9 for the first time he swore it must be a modern day ZL900.

G

·
One of my all time favorites. Buddy had one and it was just awesome. I looked for one before buying the 9.
Rockin a 160 rear, stock. Those were big back in the day. Hell, I can remember when my 180 on ZX-7 was the talk of the town in 1995! Not anymore!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,077 Posts
I remember going to drag races and about all that ran were the Kawi 900's and 1000's. I've never had one but I always like the way they looked and ran. Those and V65's were some of my favorite older bikes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think that is why I bought my 9...

A couple of years ago I went up to a bike show (on my Eliminator) intending only to buy a new lock & chain for my bike (at bike show discount prices). What I didn't expect, was to fall head over heels for a 109 that was on display there.

Side by side, the eliminator and 109 do have a lot of similarities.

I still have my eliminator, it is a fun bike to ride if you're in a "hooligan mood"... lol

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I think that is why I bought my 9...

A couple of years ago I went up to a bike show (on my Eliminator) intending only to buy a new lock & chain for my bike (at bike show discount prices). What I didn't expect, was to fall head over heels for a 109 that was on display there.

Side by side, the eliminator and 109 do have a lot of similarities.

I still have my eliminator, it is a fun bike to ride if you're in a "hooligan mood"... lol

very nice shot
Blagadan , admit it,
you'v always been a Bad azz :bigthumbsup:

Hey FreeStyle :agree:,,, I say Do It

·
Registered
241 Posts
That was a nice bike back in the day. ONe of my buddies rode one and I had the V65
What do you mean "back in the day" It's a nice bike TODAY!

I have one ZL900 and 3 V65s. I believe the Eliminator had the largest rear tire ever put on a production motorcycle at the time. Not so big today, but still looks right on the bike.

ZL900 is a blast to ride. It is the only bike I own that puts a school girl giggle inside my helmet every time I ride it. They do however have a very small tank and not great mileage so figure on looking for a gas station by 75 miles, maybe sooner. Geared low and run fast on the highway, gets old after a while. Still not much that will outrun it for the first block or so considering you are giving up a lot of cubes to most new bikes these days. I think it is one of those bikes that makes you think you are going faster than you really are, whereas on the V65 you are going faster than you think you are. If you understand that.

The ZL1000 would make a better cruiser if you were doing some distance, think of the ZL900 maybe as an old school streetfighter I guess.

I went with the Raider instead of the M109. Not trying to start a war.

I've had one for a few years now, if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I really like that picture
they look real nice next to each other

but that rear tire looks smaller than what I remember :dontknow:

Maybe because I'm spoiled by my280

I used to have buddies with V65,V Max,
when I had my ZL900
I always wanted to replace that ride some day

·
Registered
254 Posts
but that rear tire looks smaller than what I remember :dontknow:
Mine is a stock 160/80-15, but a lot of guys have put a 180 in there to get some extra width. I do believe one or two have put a 190, and even heard of one guy that managed to squeeze a 200 avon onto the stock rim... :eek:

Well heck, if you are used to looking at a 280 rear, then EVERY other tyre is gonna look skinny! lol

I always wanted to replace that ride some day
That sounds like a good plan. Go for it.

ZL900GUY gave a perfect description of the ZL. I use my 9 for long rides and my ZL for the days that I want some classic excitement...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I still remember when I test rode a red one when I was 17 yrs old, I owned a 750 Virago and was use to grabbing a fist full of throttle every time I rode did it by habit when trying Eliminator, it scared me so bad I bought it as soon I got back to the dealer. I was still in school, and it was buy far the fastest anything around at the time, the V-Max was around but could still get them out of the hole and up to 1/8 mile.
Got to know the locals well :cop: also.
ZL900GUY discription is right on.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I missed the bid on ebay this morning
lost the bike :-\ sold for 2650.
but now i'm in the hunt for another

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well I missed the bid on ebay this morning
lost the bike :-\ sold for 2650.
but now i'm in the hunt for another
Were you looking at the one in Shelbyville, Ill?

I wouldn't go much over 3K for one right now unless it was pretty spectacular. $2-2500.00 for a nice one is about right. Stay away from the ones that have pods unless you like to fiddle with carbs and such.

That green one that is on Ebay right now has been on a couple of times the last two years. It looks nice, that is not factory paint. Only came in black or red. if that is important to you. How far you willing to travel?

Also you might want to sign up at ZLOA, there are usually a few guys on there selling. I know there are a couple of owners in the NW Indiana area as well.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes I was looking at the one in Shelbyville, Ill?

Nice 13000 miles

I agree I don't want it with too many mods
Thanks for the tip but what is a ZLOA

·
Registered
960 Posts
The eliminator turned me on to the indomitable VMax! Great bikes!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts