M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*Strange Clicking Sound During Startup Cycle*

Went out for a ride today, and during the ride i noticed a faint clicking sound. Keep in consideration it is 95 degrees here in upstate NY today. Two days ago i installed my new TD Atre, i am not saying this sound is related to the Atre, but this was the last mod that was installed. While on the ride today i noticed the sound, and tried to track it, but was unable to locate the sound while on the bike. Once i arrived back at the house, i turned the key "On" and turned off the kill switch so the bike could do its cycle, and the sound began, and continued until i hit the kill switch again. 15 mins later a friend stopped by to check out what i was trying to describe to him, the bike had cooled down significantly and it was gone, Luckily i did manage to snag a video of the issue before it was gone.

So, in conclusion. When the bike goes through its startup cycle, before started/running, a lever/ valve on the exhaust side of the bike, just behind the Black metal protection plate in between my exhaust pipes. The lever/valve is supposed to Open Completely, Close Completely, and then return to its neutral position (i believe). My lever/valve would Open Completely, but couldnt Close completely and would continue to rock in that position. I have attached a Video Clip of it because im sure this is not the greatest description. My Question....

What is this lever? and has this happened to anyone before? Is there a solution?

<-- Video Link, sorry video came out side ways

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
That sounds like your set valve. Search for that. You can disable it by pulling the #7 wire if that is what it is. The #7 wire is located in the harness on the left side under the cover.
Someone will chime in shortly that is more familiar:)
Good luck.

Sent from my super cool iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
It more likely that your set valve is about to go bad. When it goes, it'll throw a code. Seeing that you have an aftermarket pipes, it's best to just pull the #7 wire from the ECM. It's located behind the left side cover. The wire your looking for is a black with brown stripe.

G

·
It more likely that your set valve is about to go bad. When it goes, it'll throw a code. Seeing that you have an aftermarket pipes, it's best to just pull the #7 wire from the ECM. It's located behind the left side cover. The wire your looking for is a black with brown stripe.
Still gotta pull the cables too, otherwise it's stuck wherever it is, which I assume is full closed? I don't recall where mine was when I disabled.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds like the set valve isn't working correctly. Should have been removed when you installed the aftermarket pipes.

It is in the area that you were pointing to in the video.

There is a video available that can show you what you need to do to disable the set valve. But as stated above you will still need to remove the set valves and the cables if not done so already.

BigPapa did a pic of the procedure.

Hope this helps.

By the way...it has nothing to do with the TRE

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like the set valve isn't working correctly. Should have been removed when you installed the aftermarket pipes.

It is in the area that you were pointing to in the video.

There is a video available that can show you what you need to do to disable the set valve. But as stated above you will still need to remove the set valves and the cables if not done so already.

BigPapa did a pic of the procedure.

Hope this helps.

By the way...it has nothing to do with the TRE
Ok, thank you. I purchased the bike with the pipes already installed therefore i had not realized it wasnt done correctly. I appreciate the help you guys have given. New task for tomarrow will be disabling the set valve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This after noon i did the SET valve disable, and it worked like a charm and went very smooth, no issues, very easy. I used the How to from "mym109r" that i got from another member on here and it was a great help, very detailed and great pics. I appreciate the help, and im very greatful you guys understood what i was talking about. I purchased the bike with the pipes installed so i never did any of the reading about the issues with Aftermarket pipes and this SET valve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts