M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Print version http://www.m109riders.com/howto/ujoint/

This has to be the hardest job to do if you try and stab it from the back of the swingarm. If you can do it that way you need to go buy a lotto ticket because you are one lucky guy. ;) This is how I had to do it and so did a another member here.

First thing you need to do is to pull off the left chrome side covers to access the Secondary Bevel Gears.

Remove the speedometer sensor bolt and remove speedometer sensor and place out of the way.

Remove the four bolts holding the Secondary Gear housing.
You're going to lose a little oil on this so put something under the bike so you don't make a big mess.

Now just pull the housing towards you and pull out the u-joint.

Now you can bolt the Final Gear Case back up into the swingarm.

Install the u-joint on to the driveshaft. I still had a hard time getting this on so there is no way I could have done it the other way. :confused:

Now that you have the u-joint on the driveshaft you need to put the spline back into the gear housing and fish it all back in. What I did was loosen up the Final Gear Case so that it would give me some room to put the case back on. It's a tight fit so you need all the room you can get. :eek:

That's pretty much it after that. All you need to do now is put all the bolts back in a tighten them up and you're done. That wasn't so bad was it? :evil:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
yet another awesome tutorial. thanks lamont.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Lamonster said:
This has to be the hardest job to do if you try and stab it from the back of the swingarm. If you can do it that way you need to go buy a lotto ticket because you are one lucky guy. ;)
Hey Lamont,
Well I must be one lucky bastage because I got the drive shaft to go into the u-joint without having to disassemble it from the front. What I did was I got my mini Mag-Lite and laid it inside the drive shaft tube to I could see the orientation of the end of the u-joint. Then using a long bladed screwdriver I got the end of the u-joint centered in the housing then slowly and carefully slid the drive shaft into the housing, doing my best to keep it centered and once it contacted the u-joint I just jiggled it around a little and it popped right in!! :hot: :hot: :hot:

I'm off to buy my lottery ticket now. :D :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Well it seems that I only "thought" I had stabbed it correctly. I still believe that I got the drive shaft stabbed into the u-joint OK, but the other end of the u-joint had pulled out of the gearbox so I still had to tear apart the primary like Lamont did above to get everything working properly. Take my word for it guys, just do it Lamonts way, it will save you a lot of hassles later. ::) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Lamont, I had to use this last night. What a great tutorial. Too bad I couldnt read it and had censored read it for me. You guys are awesome...

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
macshooter said:
Hey what happened to the pics. I sure would like to see what you are talking about here.
I'm pretty sure it is when Frapper "crashed" and ate up alot of pics.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
hate to bring up an old post but i had to do this tonight myself and was able to pull back the boot and sneak a thin blade screwdriver behind the u-joint and hold it centered while i stabbed the shaft back in. took a few attempts and some fool language but got it in. :bigthumbsup:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lovethetwins said:
hate to bring up an old post but i had to do this tonight myself and was able to pull back the boot and sneak a thin blade screwdriver behind the u-joint and hold it centered while i stabbed the shaft back in. took a few attempts and some fool language but got it in. :bigthumbsup:
:bigthumbsup: Did you buy a Lotto ticket? :D

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I struggled trying to put the shaft in through the back while trying to hold the uni joint with a screw driver and a couple of hours later and a lot of swearing I thought about doing by removing the gear housing but wasn't sure until I searched and found this post :dontknow:

Yep.... That's it.... Followed all these instructions and it wasn't too hard at all...

Oh.... what's that on the ground? :yikes: The mother F :edit: er rubber boot :swear: :swear: :swear:

Removed the gear housing again and slipped in the rubber boot and now I can't get the arse of a thing back on :realmad:

Going out to try again now :eek:

·
Registered
252 Posts
U Joint phasing

Is it necessary to note the exact position of the Universal joint on the shaft splines or the exact position of the mating of the universal and the secondary gearcase splines and re assemble that way ( yoke phasing issues) ? or does it not matter so long as it all mates up and slides in fine ?

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Hi Skin
I have gone through the MANUAL, there is nothing in there about lining up the u-joint with the actual output shaft.It might have been a good idea if SUZUKI did put a master spline to sort out some if any miss alignment issues.Well it's after 12 I am off to bed .................

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ok people this is really very easy and no you dont need a lotto ticket or take it apart. First find a older thick heavy wire coat hanger you have hanging around lol. Bend one end into a u shape. The purpose is to use the bent end like a saddle to hold up the splined part of the u-joint. Stick it through the rubber boot side and have the spline part of the u-joint setting on the bent part of the wire. Know line the u-joint so its as close to center as you look up into the shaft housing. When you think you have it centered as close to centered as possible hook the other end of the wire to what ever you like so it stays in that position or have someone help hold it. Now hold the hub in your lap and slowly move it into the housing. Go slow til you feel it touch the u-joint, as it touchs the u-joint slightly turn the drive gear as you push it into the joint. Bolt it up and your done, takes about a minute or two. Make sure you grease the splines so it slides into the u-joint easily. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ok people this is really very easy and no you dont need a lotto ticket or take it apart. First find a older thick heavy wire coat hanger you have hanging around lol. Bend one end into a u shape. The purpose is to use the bent end like a saddle to hold up the splined part of the u-joint. Stick it through the rubber boot side and have the spline part of the u-joint setting on the bent part of the wire. Know line the u-joint so its as close to center as you look up into the shaft housing. When you think you have it centered as close to centered as possible hook the other end of the wire to what ever you like so it stays in that position or have someone help hold it. Now hold the hub in your lap and slowly move it into the housing. Go slow til you feel it touch the u-joint, as it touchs the u-joint slightly turn the drive gear as you push it into the joint. Bolt it up and your done, takes about a minute or two. Make sure you grease the splines so it slides into the u-joint easily. :bigthumbsup:
Look at all the Bold area.. Seadog I like your way the most.. It got me excited and moist all over... :redfaced:

Honey!!! Im coming up!!.... get ready for me... :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Print version http://www.m109riders.com/howto/ujoint/

This has to be the hardest job to do if you try and stab it from the back of the swingarm. If you can do it that way you need to go buy a lotto ticket because you are one lucky guy. ;) This is how I had to do it and so did a another member here.

First thing you need to do is to pull off the left chrome side covers to access the Secondary Bevel Gears.

Remove the speedometer sensor bolt and remove speedometer sensor and place out of the way.

Remove the four bolts holding the Secondary Gear housing.
You're going to lose a little oil on this so put something under the bike so you don't make a big mess.

Now just pull the housing towards you and pull out the u-joint.

Now you can bolt the Final Gear Case back up into the swingarm.

Install the u-joint on to the driveshaft. I still had a hard time getting this on so there is no way I could have done it the other way. :confused:

Now that you have the u-joint on the driveshaft you need to put the spline back into the gear housing and fish it all back in. What I did was loosen up the Final Gear Case so that it would give me some room to put the case back on. It's a tight fit so you need all the room you can get. :eek:

That's pretty much it after that. All you need to do now is put all the bolts back in a tighten them up and you're done. That wasn't so bad was it? :evil:
excellent suggestion!!! THANKS

are there any recommendations regarding the spacers and alignment? the mannual says "make sure you have the correct shim in place." How cirtical is it for us to ensure proper alighment?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Exhaust in the way?

Ignore doing it that way. Many people have supposedly had issues with the secondary leaking afterwards.

We just did Giddyup's and it was simple to do it this way.

The swingarm has a pivot bolt that runs all the way through it. Undo the pinch bolt, use the axle tool and undo the pivot bolt and pull it out. That will allow the swing arm to drop down some, but not a lot. It is still attached by the shock.

Now, slide your hub in. While doing that, pull the ujoint off the secondary and put it on the splines of the hub. Then, put a few of the nuts on the hub bolts where it goes into the swingarm. Lift up the swing arm and when the ujoint touches the secondary, use a towel and sping the hub until you feel it lock in. Then slide the pivot bolt back in, torque down, tighten pinch bolts and you are done. Putting it back in next time, we could have it done in 10 minutes.
Question, to do it this way, doesn't the exhaust system have to be removed? I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts