M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put 2" lowering links on my M109, and am now worried about bottoming out, if I have a passenger on the back of my bike. Does anyone out there with lowering bones have any issues with this, when you have someone on the back. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I suppose it would depend on the combined weight of you and your passenger. I have not had any issues, even with 2 1/4 bones. My shock setting is factory- 4

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Bottoming out is possible with lowering bones.

It becomes more important to balance your shock setting and the load you are carrying as you do not want to get into the last 2" of travel as that range is now past where you hit your fender.

I never hit with 2" bones but did with 3".

So, stiffen up the shock and be sure to grind/cut off the bolts that come through the fender which would be the first to rub if you got that far.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
I weigh 220 and my wife is around 130, and when she rode with me we bottomed twice. It's not a really big deal as long as you cut or grind the bolts off that hang below the fender right above the tire. It makes a little squeak and does nothing to the tire or the bike. I have my shock set on 4, but those two bumps would probably have bottomed it if it were set on 7.

Both times we bottomed were in bad places, one was a newly paved road that they had stopped paving, leaving a 4" to 5" dropoff. The other was on a sunken area of pavement that bottomed front and back.

I have the 2" Yana Shiki bones that lower it closer to 2.5".

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input

I appreciate the input. I can't believe that as worried I was about bottoming out, that I never even considered the fender bolts. I cut them back this weekend, and rode about 300 miles. We never bottomed out, but I did catch the skid plate on one bump, nothing to serious though.

Thanks for your help and ride safe fella's..

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bottoming out is possible with lowering bones.

It becomes more important to balance your shock setting and the load you are carrying as you do not want to get into the last 2" of travel as that range is now past where you hit your fender.

I never hit with 2" bones but did with 3".

So, stiffen up the shock and be sure to grind/cut off the bolts that come through the fender which would be the first to rub if you got that far.
on DLP'S Site it says that the 3" lowering bones dont use stock bushing. Do they use any bushing at all? i would think so, but what kind? the site was vague about that....

thanks

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
on DLP'S Site it says that the 3" lowering bones dont use stock bushing. Do they use any bushing at all? i would think so, but what kind? the site was vague about that....

thanks
My 2" bones have no bushings at all, Grease is what is used. I thought that kinda odd as well. Stockers have the needle roller bearings, aftermarket bones don't. At least mine didn't

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts

thanks
The ones that say they don't use the stock bushings have no bushings at all, just a hole bored through the links. They still work fine, you just lube them up when you install them.

I had 2" Yana Shiki links on mine for at least 10,000 miles before removing them, and they still fit tightly around the bolt. They have no bushing but with so little movement of these none is really needed.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just put 2" lowering links on my M109, and am now worried about bottoming out, if I have a passenger on the back of my bike. Does anyone out there with lowering bones have any issues with this, when you have someone on the back. Thanks for your help guys.
Which brand? I just ordered Cycle House 2" bones. You got any pics?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes. You are welcome.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Several of us bottomed out with 1.5" bones riding solo with the stock shock set @ #4. Just thought you'd want to know...

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I had 2" Yana Shiki links on mine for at least 10,000 miles before removing them, and they still fit tightly around the bolt. They have no bushing but with so little movement of these none is really needed.
Zoom, any reason why you took them off? Did you go with the air ride or went back to stock? I have been debating for the longest time on whether or not I should take the plunge and get some 2" Yana Shiki's, but as the OP mentioned, I am also concerned about bottoming out or if there will be a noticeable change in ride quality:dontknow:.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Zoom, any reason why you took them off? Did you go with the air ride or went back to stock? I have been debating for the longest time on whether or not I should take the plunge and get some 2" Yana Shiki's, but as the OP mentioned, I am also concerned about bottoming out or if there will be a noticeable change in ride quality:dontknow:.
Giddyup109 has them and he is 250+ and with his girl, has not bottomed out to my knowledge. That was the way it was at the meet. His shock was even at 3 then but he has since raised it to 4. Just make sure you grind off the fender bolts underneath and you should have no issues. If you are worried, put the 1.5" bones on and you will be fine. No noticeable change in ride quality that I can tell and I am down 2" as well.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
Adrian, I took them off, installed an air ride, then decided I didn't like all the fussing with an air ride. So they went back on. Plus I ran the air ride at the same height as the lowering bones, and the ride wasn't as good. And it was one less thing to worry about messing up. :D

At your weight you wouldn't have to worry about bottoming. Back when my wife rode with me I bottomed mine twice, but both were in really bad situations. One was a road that was being paved and at the end of the paving was a good 4" drop off that I hit at about 60 mph. The other was a big dip in the road that I also hit at higher speeds and the dip was deep and long enough to let the suspension compress fully. I've never bottomed it with just me on the bike.

But, as long as you grind off the bolts below the fender bottoming doesn't hurt them. It makes a squeak when the tire hits the inner fender and that's all it does. It doesn't stop the tire or anything like that, as it doesn't contact it but just for a fraction of a second.

Ride quality, at least to me, was not affected at all. You have the same amount of suspension movement, it just happens with the bike at a lower stance. And stability on the bike improves with the center of gravity being lower. All you really lose is some cornering clearance, and if you angle your pegs up a little by putting a shim under them, you can get that back and a little more. I'm pretty sure I have more cornering clearance now than I did stock. And the angled pegs fit my feet better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would like to have air ride even if comfort wasnt as good, would love to be able to jack it up when I get up to the mountain roads, and drop it back down in town.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Thanks Mike (Zoom) and Thanks Harris (BigPapam109). Your input seems to always be right on, and more often than not tend to make decisions a lot easier. After much debating, I went ahead and ordered the 2" Yana Shiki lowering bones. Now my question is (BTW, I did use the search feature but no names came up), which one of you is willing to come to Belgium to help me install them:D. You pay the trip and I take care of your stay-- how is that for an offer to visit Europe?:nojoke: In all reality, you and yours are always welcome to come visit whenever you choose:bigthumbsup:.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Thanks Mike (Zoom) and Thanks Harris (BigPapam109). Your input seems to always be right on, and more often than not tend to make decisions a lot easier. After much debating, I went ahead and ordered the 2" Yana Shiki lowering bones. Now my question is (BTW, I did use the search feature but no names came up), which one of you is willing to come to Belgium to help me install them:D. You pay the trip and I take care of your stay-- how is that for an offer to visit Europe?:nojoke: In all reality, you and yours are always welcome to come visit whenever you choose:bigthumbsup:.
Swing on back to the 'hood and I'll put them on for you. Takes about an hour. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Swing on back to the 'hood and I'll put them on for you. Takes about an hour. :bigthumbsup:
Thanks for the offer Glen but I am afraid it won't be that easy for me to "swing" back to the Hood, of course, unless you are willing to take over the 9's shipping cost:joke:. I left a lot of stuff back home in order to be able to bring my "Babe." BTW, both you and Ranielle also have an open invitation to visit us in Brussels:bigthumbsup:.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I just spoke to Mary and she said all things are negotiable. You pay for airfare, we stay with you and your beautiful family....and I will buy my own food and do your bones for free. I hate it when she pimps me out :a20:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts