M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for ya. Anybody know of any gear lube that looks like transmission fluid? The reason I ask is, I just drained my final drive unit of the unknown red lube and replaced with a known 90W gear lube. I am going to go "TALK" to my dealer tomorrow! Just wanted to see if anyone knew of a gear lube that fits this description before I start ranting on him.

Thanks,
D.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The only red gear lube I've seen was the Shell synthetic 50W gear oil, one of the companies I used to work for used in the rear ends of our 18 wheelers ;) ................... I would have to say there are more than that on the market but I haven't seen them :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Wow, yours was red when it came out? When did you change it? Mine was changed at 800 miles, and it looked silverish with metal flakes.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Medic1210 said:
and it looked silverish with metal flakes.
Mine was too .................. sounds like his dealer might have changed/add to his. From what I can tell most if not all the 109s came from the factory low on gear oil, maybe his dealer actually caught that (unlike most of them that didn't) :dontknow:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have heard of some stuff called redline that is suppose to be really good. I was actually just going to do some checking here to see about using it in mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Medic1210 said:
Wow, yours was red when it came out? When did you change it? Mine was changed at 800 miles, and it looked silverish with metal flakes.
Yea, it was red and looks just like ATF, very thin not like a gear lube at all. It was changed by the dealer at the 600 mile service. I also found a couple other problems with their work, like a missing screw in the body work, oil over filled ... you know, the normal stuff.

Is the Red Line gear lube actually red in color? If so maybe that's what they used and I didn't need to worry about it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It is actually red but i am not sure how good it is. Just have heard some good stuff from some other biker guys i know. Have not seen anything on here yet.

·
Registered
164 Posts
IchiBan109 said:
Yea, it was red and looks just like ATF, very thin not like a gear lube at all. It was changed by the dealer at the 600 mile service. I also found a couple other problems with their work, like a missing screw in the body work, oil over filled ... you know, the normal stuff.

Is the Red Line gear lube actually red in color? If so maybe that's what they used and I didn't need to worry about it.

If it's thin like ATF, I'd raise hell with the dealer, maybe it is ATF. I've never seen gear lube like this. It should be 2-3 times thicker than motor oil. Hope you saved some...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bonehead said:
Mine was too .................. sounds like his dealer might have changed/add to his. From what I can tell most if not all the 109s came from the factory low on gear oil, maybe his dealer actually caught that (unlike most of them that didn't) :dontknow:
LOW??.....Hadent read that one yet.........I am assuming that the bike has to be up right when checking this

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
yes they should be topped off with the bike upright so it's either going to take two people or a stand for the bike. mine was slightly off with 5ozs coming out when the spec says it should have 7ozs in it. I used Amsoil synthetic gear lube.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Well, when you drain it for the 600mi service and you might get 4oz out I would call that low :p I've heard (or read) many people that had the same thing happen.

P.S. yes I use a lift when working on the bike (it just makes life so much easier :bigthumbsup: )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts