M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is alot of options for replacing the rear turn signals but has anyone tried moving them to the rear of the chromed fender strut. The back hole is filled with a allen bolt that has a nut on the back of it. That hole could be used to put turn signal shaft through and then use another nut to secure it. They must make custom application turn signals that would fit and would allow for the wiring to go through the shaft. Just a thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
i'd like to see that. i think it would look good. maybe some of the small chrome LED signals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,714 Posts
put the Kuryakyn small siler bullets on mine through the fender stut with Kury's 2 inch hollow metric bolt. looks sweet...tip: remember to seal up the hollow bolt hole after your done wiring up the lights,this will keep water from entering into the light and burning it out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
toneout said:
I know there is alot of options for replacing the rear turn signals but has anyone tried moving them to the rear of the chromed fender strut. The back hole is filled with a allen bolt that has a nut on the back of it. That hole could be used to put turn signal shaft through and then use another nut to secure it. They must make custom application turn signals that would fit and would allow for the wiring to go through the shaft. Just a thought.
Here is how I did mine . Kuryakyn led silver bullets . Yes ,, make sure and seal the ends of the hollow bolts with rtv .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
yeah, it's been done. i think lamont has pics
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
That looks pretty sweet.... was it a hard mod to finish.. I am not much of a wrench but I plan on doing somethin soon. I really don't like the look of the factory lights.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I was wondering about that mod. I have the signals and I was waiting on the license plate bracket to mount them, but I can imagine this looking much better. Think I'll do it tonight! Does the struts/fender have to come off?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just finished installing my halogen lights with the larger bolts through the struts. Not a bad install. I am waiting on a way to mount the side license plate bracket and did not want to leave those huge holes in the side of the plastic where the turn signals were so I used the plastic plates that were on the turn signals and the nut and bolt that were on the fender strut that I removed and it at least filled the hole until I can get the license plate mounted and then i can really clean up that back end. I went with the laser star lights 65 plus the longer bolts. Nice product for the money. Very bright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
bollert said:
I was wondering about that mod. I have the signals and I was waiting on the license plate bracket to mount them, but I can imagine this looking much better. Think I'll do it tonight! Does the struts/fender have to come off?
Na ,, the struts don't have to come off. There is a nut on the back side of the strut bolt , just take it off and pull the strut bolt out and replace it with the hollow one . OH !!! and don't do like I did and overtighten the hollow bolt ,, it will break pretty easy.. I did put a small stainless washer under my silver bullet to space it out past the indentation on the strut ..I cut the original turn signal wiring harness and soldered the connectors to the silver bullets and just plugged them into the original wiring .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
zebber said:
Na ,, the struts don't have to come off. There is a nut on the back side of the strut bolt , just take it off and pull the strut bolt out and replace it with the hollow one . OH !!! and don't do like I did and overtighten the hollow bolt ,, it will break pretty easy.. I did put a small stainless washer under my silver bullet to space it out past the indentation on the strut ..I cut the original turn signal wiring harness and soldered the connectors to the silver bullets and just plugged them into the original wiring .
I'm with you all the way so far, but the Kury bolts would not cleanly fit throught the strut/inner fender assembly. I wound up having to use a 5/16 drill to enlarge the hole and clean up a slight misalignment. That strut is a heavy duty piece. I had to use oil on my drill bit. anyway, my LEDs are installed and look great. I just have to reinstall my cut fender witht the new license plate bracket and I am in business. I also have to crimp in a load equalizer.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top