M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I did the AutoZone LED strip thing again for my rear turn signals. I can't afford the Raw Design stuff, so I made something up myself.

#1 Take a spare S-10 hood and make a template.

#2 Cut template out of hood.

#3 I removed the rear fender and mounted the bracket to where the license plate bolt hole go. I also had to weld 2 more tabs towards the ends of the bracket to stabilize the bracket at the ends.

#4 These are the AutoZone LED strips. These are the 2 12 inch strips they sell for $20 a pair. I bought 2 sets.

#5 And here's how bright they are.

#6 They come with 3M self-adhesive strips on the back. It's as easy as "peel and stick". I cut off the last 3 LED's which is about 2 inches. The bracket measures 22 inches. Plus I staggered them just a tad to spread out the light.

And here's how bright they are when they're on.

-Josh

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you have add any resistance to the circuit to get the LED's to flash as slowly as the original bulbs?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Bright, yes........Aesthetically pleasing?.....well........

I'm not a fan of the unfinished look of those auto zone led strips. Maybe you can spray some smoked tint on them to hide the guts of the leds a little.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I bought the same led's to put under my rear cowl and will be using them for running and brake lights. I will post some pics. The Autozone led's are fairly cheap and are bright enough to get the job done.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't run any resistance for the wiring. I like the faster flashing rate.

I like the unfinished look. I like seeing how things work, with the little doodads and gizmos. Plus I saved like $160 over the raw design because there isn't anything Billet aluminum on it.

-Josh

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like how you did yours, WS109. Did you remove the tail light lens and put them underneath, or are they on top of the taillight??

-Josh

·
Registered
130 Posts
I like how you did yours, WS109. Did you remove the tail light lens and put them underneath, or are they on top of the taillight??

-Josh
On the side of the tail light, if you look in Auto Zone they have the LED's that are on the side of the strip not in the middle of the strip this way you can put them on the side of the tail light and you still see the lights...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Nice. Very stealthy. I"ve seen those. Haven't found a use for them yet. Good job.

-Josh
Thanks Bro, i was thinking about the same thing when it came to the Raw Design stuff just couldn't see spending that amount when I could do it myself, plus it makes you feel good when someone says to you good job.... I also give you your props with the mods you do on your 9 so my hats off to you Bro...

Thanks
Whitney

·
Registered
310 Posts
I didn't run any resistance for the wiring. I like the faster flashing rate.

I like the unfinished look. I like seeing how things work, with the little doodads and gizmos. Plus I saved like $160 over the raw design because there isn't anything Billet aluminum on it.

-Josh
not to mention the Raw Design signals lose led's fast and it is quite a hassel to keep taking the signals off and sending them off to be replaced. Not worth $160.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,767 Posts
Nicely done, Josh. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts