M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question .. the OEM rear tire for the m109r is a 240.. does anyone know if you could put a 250 on the OEM rear rim???????? and will it still drive great ???????

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yes, you can put a 250 on the factory rim. In fact most people on this board have the Dunlop E3 250 tire in the back. If you want to go crazy then you can go with a 10" rim and put up to a 300 on there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes you can, there are people here who I believe even get a 260 on there, but the 260 doesn't technically "fit" and might make for a poor tire. The 250 should handle fine, at least that's what I hear.

G

·
Yes, you can put a 250 on the factory rim. In fact most people on this board have the Dunlop E3 250 tire in the back. If you want to go crazy then you can go with a 10" rim and put up to a 300 on there.
Well, a 10" rim and a new swingarm........... :bigthumbsup:
Don't think anything bigger than a 280 with stock arm.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Yes you can, there are people here who I believe even get a 260 on there, but the 260 doesn't technically "fit" and might make for a poor tire. The 250 should handle fine, at least that's what I hear.
M203R, you are incorrect in stating that the 260 might make a poor tire when mounted on the stock wheel/rim. :eek: :redfaced: In fact, the Metzelers 260 is the most highly recommended rear tire to mount on the stock size rear wheel for the M109R. It rides and handles great!!! It is the 280 size tire that is not recommended for mounting on the stock rear wheel. There are claims and some real life experiences that have been stated on this forum in which people have had problems (safety, handling, and overall riding related) with the 280 mounted on their stock size rear wheels.

To the OP, IMHO, your best bet is to go with the Metzelers 260 rear tire if you want the wider look in the rear, and either chose from the Metzelers 160/60 front tire (mounted in reverse) or the Metzeler stock size tire. Either of those size front tires are great on the M109R. The 160/60 gives you more riding comfort and ground clearance as you go over bumpy/bad roads and in cornering/leaning.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I've been running the 280 Metz in a stock rim for over three years and had no problems. I'm a very aggressive rider. I would tend to say don't use it if you don't know what your doing. I see lots of accidents from lowering the bike then the 280 on a stocker.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
DON'T GO WITH THE 280 ON THE STOCK RIM.The 260 Metz is highly proven on this forum along with the 160 front. Makes for a great ride.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Or better yet, go with the Metz 260-much better tire than Dunlop! :bigthumbsup:
More costly, does not last as long.
Dunlop EIII 250 is cheaper and lasts longer.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
More costly, does not last as long.
Dunlop EIII 250 is cheaper and lasts longer.:bigthumbsup:
That depends on your riding style. I ride the twisties alot and I ride pretty hard at times. I have used up 2 sets of stockers, a set of avons, 3 EIII's on the rear and 2 metzler 260's. I am about to replace my front metzler 160/60 after 11,000 miles and not long after that I will be starting on my 3rd metz 260. Yes, if you cruise around and occasionally ride in the mountains the EIII is definately the best bang for your buck. But, if you ride agressively you owe it to yourself to try the metzlers.
Also, I have yet to get more than 6000 miles out of ANY rear tire and I have never done a burnout. I can get just as many miles out of the metz as I can the EIII. The avon didn't even make it to 4000 miles.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This is an old 250 E2 I ran a might too long. It also had a plug in it. Daddy did not ride safely from the sticker in the window of my truck.

Doc

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Also, I have yet to get more than 6000 miles out of ANY rear tire and I have never done a burnout. I can get just as many miles out of the metz as I can the EIII. The avon didn't even make it to 4000 miles.:dontknow:
I ride the twisties frequently, and find the EIII to be a real nice tire, better than the stocker for sure. Will not be buying any Metzeler tires in the foreseeable future due to excessively high price.

I got 11,000 miles out of my stock back tire, and did do occassional chirps, though fully unintentional. I am currently at 5,000 on my EIII and it still has near 3/16 inch tread left. Since it started out around 1/4, it looks like I am doing another 10 to 11,000 mile tire. I have yet to do any unintentional chirps with the EIII 250, so it must be a stickier tire. Also I never scraped pegs with the stock tires, I DO NOW!

You must have asphalt/chip roads out your way? I know they tend to eat tires up pretty bad, only thing I can figure for those who get lousy mileage out of their tires.

I keep mine at 42 psi all the time, and this may contribute to the mileage.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
going to stay with the 240 around here you can get the tire and have it installed for and even $200 thats not a bad deal plus if i have a problem with a tire the shop is here no shipping:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
160/260 Metz recommended pressure

Hi all, what is the recommended air pressure for a combo 160/60/R18 front and a 260/40/R18 rear, both Metzeler.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts