M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to do this because there are tons of tire threads on here but they are old and I think it’s time for a more recent discussion on current tires. I have less than 2800 miles on my stock 240 and it needs replacing badly. There aren’t as many options for tires as there used to be and most of them I can’t find in stock anywhere.

I am looking for high longevity first and foremost. I also don’t want to sacrifice handling. I’ve been thinking about sticking with the 240 but would be willing to go with 250/260 if someone can really break down the benefits, besides looks. It would seem to me that a wider tire makes a bike less nimble but more stable. Maybe I’m wrong but there a reason these tire sizes are a minority in the motorcycle world.

So now we return back to the other problem of selection and availability. I can’t find virtually any of the more highly recommended 250/260 tires in stock and some aren’t even made anymore. Most tires I have found those sizes in stock are tires that will wear out as fast as the stock. I will not put a Shinko on anything I own unless it’s a dirt bike.

So what’s been everyone’s experience over the last few years with some of the more recents tire options? Does anyone have a GREAT source for tires that reliably has tires in stock?

Let’s keep the dark side talk and 280-300 10 inch rim talk to a minimum please.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Here are three of the more popular rear tires for the M109R at the moment and all are in stock in 260/40-18

·
Registered
2018 M109R BOSS
158 Posts
i recently had to replace my new OEM tire at 3700miles due to
Tire Sports gear Automotive tire Motorcycle helmet Automotive lighting
a screw/nail. put on the michelin scorcher. love it. way stickier than stock. don't know bout longevity yet as it's only been on one season. downsides you may ask...the michelin scorcher does say harley davidson on the sidewall. but you can't see it unless you get close. i went with the stock 240.
Tire Sports gear Automotive tire Motorcycle helmet Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The Michelin Scorcher 11 tire RMF1009 posted above is also in stock at Dennis Kirk in 240/40-18
Can't get this tire in 260 or I would be considering one also.
I have been running the Michelin Scorcher 11 160/60-18 on the front of my bike for a couple years now and it is holding up and performing very nicely. It is also manufactured as a true front tire which is hard to find in a 160-18. Most brands you have to buy a rear tire and run it in reverse rotation.
If you can get over it having Harley Davidson branded on the side wall, they are great tires.

I never expect to get more than 3000 miles from any rear tire, due to my bad habits. Fronts last a long time though.
The stock Dunlop that come on the 9 are junk IMO. I also tried the Dunlop Elite 3 a couple times and did not care for it either. Seemed to be made from harder compounds and did not stick as well as the Metzeler, Cobra or Michelin tires.

Have a look around the Dennis Kirk site, there are lots of different brand options for rear tires you can choose from and most are usually in stock.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
2017 M109R B.O.S.S.
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Michelin Scorcher 11 tire RMF1009 posted above is also in stock at Dennis Kirk in 240/40-18
Can't get this tire in 260 or I would be considering one also.
I have been running the Michelin Scorcher 11 160/60-18 on the front of my bike for a couple years now and it is holding up and performing very nicely. It is also manufactured as a true front tire which is hard to find in a 160-18. Most brands you have to buy a rear tire and run it in reverse rotation.
If you can get over it having Harley Davidson branded on the side wall, they are great tires.

I never expect to get more than 3000 miles from any rear tire, due to my bad habits. Fronts last a long time though.
The stock Dunlop that come on the 9 are junk IMO. I also tried the Dunlop Elite 3 a couple times and did not care for it either. Seemed to be made from harder compounds and did not stick as well as the Metzeler, Cobra or Michelin tires.

Have a look around the Dennis Kirk site, there are lots of different brand options for rear tires you can choose from and most are usually in stock.

BCS
LGB/FJB

I appreciate that. It’s hard to find opinions and experiences of the newer tire options.
I love your sign off by the way lol LGB!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a Shinko on the rear and it was a great tire. It was very sticky but I also got around 13,000 Km, including around 75 burnouts at the drag strip. The only issue I ever had with it was getting ribbed a lot from some of my biker buddies. :p

I now have a cruistec and it is a very good tire. I have heard from various shops that the 888 Marathon has had more than its fair share of issues, so I personally am staying away from that one.

You likely will not see a major difference in handling between the 240/250/260 sizes. I have a 260 and it handles great.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I replaced my rear 240 with a Dunlop 250 and the front with the Avon Storm 3D 160-60-18 .
The Dunlop 250 is actually wider than the 260 Metzeler . It is also a flatter tire .
I am pleased with the D3 250 , no complains at all .
The Avon 160 is wider and need fender extensions (some don`t use them but I did in order to maintain some fender/tire distance) and what I noticed right away was a softer ride and way more cushion at front . All the harshness of the front factory size tire is gone with this 160-60 tire . It rides great and has more control on turnings . Love the tire . It has some 1500 miles and looks like the first day it was mounted .
The rear Donnie 250 is also great in wear , looks like it will last for a very long time .
In general , I am all positive in the 2 choices front and rear .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts