M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for you guys that pull a trailer behind your machine....

what kind of tire life you getting????i seem to only get,4000 miles out of my metzlers..i am running a 260 tire some say my tire to big for a trailer..
some say the metzler too soft,and that i need to get a avon...
any suggestions????

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
my experience is the metz has a longer life than the avon. I don't pull a trailer but I do ride. the EIII is going to give you the best mileage. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
The tire is not to big for a trailer unless your hitch is hitting it. As stated they do not last as long as the E 3's and are actually a tad narrower then the E 3 also. Do you moniter your air pressure?

·
Registered
423 Posts
First of all I dont see why a trailer would make any difference. Maybe some added weight on the back, but seems like a passenger is more anyway.

The tire is not to big for a trailer unless your hitch is hitting it. As stated they do not last as long as the E 3's and are actually a tad narrower then the E 3 also. Do you moniter your air pressure?
Second, the Metz 260 is narrower than the e3 250?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Second, the Metz 260 is narrower than the e3 250?[/QUOTE]

Yes the profiles of those two tires are different which causes the dunlop to be just a hair wider (flatter profile) than the Metz (more rounded).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tire

what is a e3...yes i had proper inflation...some say that weight is too much for the metz,to soft on edges....

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
what is a e3...yes i had proper inflation...some say that weight is too much for the metz,to soft on edges....
You would have to look at the load index of the tire and see where you are. The E3 is the Dunlop E 3 250.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just bought a new 250-40-18 from motorcycle super store for $152.95 w free shipping!! cant beat that with a stick! $30.00 to mount it up too!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tire

it seems the 260 metzler is too soft on edges as i talked to 4 other riders that have same prob,where tire is wearing only in middle...

was suggested to buy a avon..????

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
IMHO if you believe that the trailer adds to much weight to the rear tire, you'v got way too much weight in the trailer. The tongue weight on the rear should only be around 10% of the total weight of the trailer. When you put the trailer on does it squat the back of the bike? I doubt that it does. Can you feel the trailer bouncing when you ride? I would think the tire wear has more to do with tire compound vs the road you ride on. The Dunlop Elite-III or E3 is a different compound and should wear a little better. I hear that Avon now has a dual compound tire that is supposed to have superior wear characteristics.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
e3 tire

priced it today for 225.00..is it that good of a tire...or should i buy a avon....or stick with my metz...which seems to have bad tire wear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts