M109 Rider Forums banner

Rear tire skipping when cold- youtube link attached

8K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Blackey 
#1 ·
When my bike is cold and the clutch is engaged the rear tire skips. The clutch was completely disassembled 600 miles ago and was reinstalled precisely to suzuki spec. There were two major adjustments made.
Need help.
Sorry for the upside down video. I can retake if necessary.
Thanks in advance
Chris
it is an 08 with 8,000 miles and i purchased the bike new

#2 ·
Thats what most here refer to as clutch shudder. Many threads here about it. You may have to do the push pin mod if you are sure the clutch was put back together right.

#4 ·
You should definitely read that thread and comment with your experiences. It is one of the most comprehensive threads on the subject I have seen.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting video. I had the shudders pretty bad but not to that extent. Suzuki fixed it under extended warranty. It is a whole new bike with it fixed.

Sent from my super cool iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm kind of curious. Does your clutch shudder happen at any RPMs when you're trying to take off or only when revved at higher RPMs?

#11 ·
Higher RPM's

I also notice an intermittent rapid clutch engagement on a third to second gear downshift. Not sure if it is related or not. The rapid clutch engagement throws the rider forward.

Hey, does anyone have part #'s for the #2 drive plate and wave washer that will be replaced?

#12 ·
Higher RPM's

I also notice an intermittent rapid clutch engagement on a third to second gear downshift. Not sure if it is related or not. The rapid clutch engagement throws the rider forward.

Hey, does anyone have part #'s for the #2 drive plate and wave washer that will be replaced?
Crap... I should probably do this. But being an amateur grease monkey; I don't know if I want to dive into it :-/

Was just looking it up here.

"I have the M and I think the clutches are the same. First, the Evo shift star is great. Makes it shift faster and firmer. On theshudder what I did was replaced the Washer, clutch plate (wave spring) PN 21472-48G10. Seat,wave washer 21471-48G00. and Plate, clutch Drive No. 2 21441-48G40. And do the pin mod. "

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157592&highlight=push+pin+clutch+shudder

#15 ·
this is exactly how my bikes behave in the morning (and sometimes in the day) I have always thought it was because my light weight and the torque she had that my tire spins like that, gonna have to tried this.

One question thou, how do you machine the pin the cheapo way? I don't have access to any heavy duty machinery for that.. thanks!

#16 ·
I think most people use a bench grinder and have a steady hand. Some people do 2 flat spots on opposite sides and some do 3... Don't think its an exact science, but I'm afraid I would take off too much ???

#18 ·
it works!

so I went and did the push pin mod a last weekend. My bike was behaving as the OP video and I can assure you from my personal experience that this mod WORKS!

I haven't been able to reproduce the clutch shudder again since the mod, and since I did it at a friend's shop, his dad that's a very renown mechanic of my country was the one that did the grinding of the pin on 2 sides. He grinded very little of the pin, I almost thought it was not going to work, but it did, and now the bike pulls on first like a bull!!!

Thanks to the OP for recording this issue I will have never known what clutch shudder means without it, and thanks to Lystan and others that have so many times advice and write about the subject.

#19 ·
It looks like what my bike started doing and by the time I reached 10,000 It got so bad I had to bring it in. To make a very long story short it was covered under warranty. Once thay replaced the Wave washer on my 07 LE it was like a brand new bike. Not only was the shudder gone it even shifted smoother than when it was new.

#22 ·
Are you sure your clutch cable is adjusted correctly? My bike was slipping then grabbing in 1st gear when cold only. I adjusted the clutch cable down at the motor and then fine tuned it at the clutch lever per the shop manual and I haven't had any problems since. Just a thought.

#24 ·
Mine did the same thing, also if rolling slowly clutch dis-engaged in 2nd gear then release the clutch to go, like to make a left turn I would have it happen.

I did the wave washer, #2 plate and something else. I used my angle grinder with a cut-off wheel strapped down to a counter and a steady hand to do strips..

#28 ·
FIXED

Sorry folks, it appears as though I fell off the face of the earth for a couple months...
Pin mod was a complete success. Success success success.
Lessons learned:
1) be very very very careful when reinstalling the 6 bolts that secure the clutch pressure disc. We snapped one and saw that 3 others had been 'stretched'- it looked like they could snap very easily. I see now that the recommendation is 6-8 ft lbs of torque. Believe it!
2) when reinstalling the side cover we could not get the gasket to sit right and ended up re-doing 4 separate times- After the exhaust was installed- we did not notice the oil leak on the bottom side of the side cover till the bike was ready to go and off the kick stand. Very frustrating, and yes, just about the time the beers were kicking in.

That's it. I had the new wave rotor ready to install but the damn dealer gave me the wrong part- we installed the old one and it was fine.

This pin mod was an immediate fix to my clutch shutter/ rear tire skip. My 109 is a new bike.

Chris

#29 ·
It's nice to have this forum available for technical advise :bigthumbsup:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.