M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my bike is cold and the clutch is engaged the rear tire skips. The clutch was completely disassembled 600 miles ago and was reinstalled precisely to suzuki spec. There were two major adjustments made.
Need help.
Sorry for the upside down video. I can retake if necessary.
Thanks in advance
Chris
it is an 08 with 8,000 miles and i purchased the bike new

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thats what most here refer to as clutch shudder. Many threads here about it. You may have to do the push pin mod if you are sure the clutch was put back together right.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You should definitely read that thread and comment with your experiences. It is one of the most comprehensive threads on the subject I have seen.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Thanks for posting video. I had the shudders pretty bad but not to that extent. Suzuki fixed it under extended warranty. It is a whole new bike with it fixed.

Sent from my super cool iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was also 'fixed under warranty' by the dealer when the bike was new.
Can you believe that TWO separate dealers diagnosed that bike as being perfectly healthy just weeks before i took that video...? What a joke.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm kind of curious. Does your clutch shudder happen at any RPMs when you're trying to take off or only when revved at higher RPMs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Higher RPM's

I also notice an intermittent rapid clutch engagement on a third to second gear downshift. Not sure if it is related or not. The rapid clutch engagement throws the rider forward.

Hey, does anyone have part #'s for the #2 drive plate and wave washer that will be replaced?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Higher RPM's

I also notice an intermittent rapid clutch engagement on a third to second gear downshift. Not sure if it is related or not. The rapid clutch engagement throws the rider forward.

Hey, does anyone have part #'s for the #2 drive plate and wave washer that will be replaced?
Crap... I should probably do this. But being an amateur grease monkey; I don't know if I want to dive into it :-/

Was just looking it up here.

"I have the M and I think the clutches are the same. First, the Evo shift star is great. Makes it shift faster and firmer. On theshudder what I did was replaced the Washer, clutch plate (wave spring) PN 21472-48G10. Seat,wave washer 21471-48G00. and Plate, clutch Drive No. 2 21441-48G40. And do the pin mod. "

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157592&highlight=push+pin+clutch+shudder

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the part #'s.
I don't have it in me to do this by myself, I'll be looking over the shoulder (or just fetching beers) for a mechanic buddy.
He states that it is a simple fix and will be complete within 2 hours if that means anything.

·
Registered
913 Posts
this is exactly how my bikes behave in the morning (and sometimes in the day) I have always thought it was because my light weight and the torque she had that my tire spins like that, gonna have to tried this.

One question thou, how do you machine the pin the cheapo way? I don't have access to any heavy duty machinery for that.. thanks!

·
Registered
206 Posts
this is exactly how my bikes behave in the morning (and sometimes in the day) I have always thought it was because my light weight and the torque she had that my tire spins like that, gonna have to tried this.

One question thou, how do you machine the pin the cheapo way? I don't have access to any heavy duty machinery for that.. thanks!
I think most people use a bench grinder and have a steady hand. Some people do 2 flat spots on opposite sides and some do 3... Don't think its an exact science, but I'm afraid I would take off too much ???

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think most people use a bench grinder and have a steady hand. Some people do 2 flat spots on opposite sides and some do 3... Don't think its an exact science, but I'm afraid I would take off too much ???
thanks for the answer, I was thinking of getting a grinding rod or something similar....

On the other hand, what could happen to the bike (as in what could damage) if I don't do this mod asap as I would want it?

·
Registered
913 Posts
it works!

so I went and did the push pin mod a last weekend. My bike was behaving as the OP video and I can assure you from my personal experience that this mod WORKS!

I haven't been able to reproduce the clutch shudder again since the mod, and since I did it at a friend's shop, his dad that's a very renown mechanic of my country was the one that did the grinding of the pin on 2 sides. He grinded very little of the pin, I almost thought it was not going to work, but it did, and now the bike pulls on first like a bull!!!

Thanks to the OP for recording this issue I will have never known what clutch shudder means without it, and thanks to Lystan and others that have so many times advice and write about the subject.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It looks like what my bike started doing and by the time I reached 10,000 It got so bad I had to bring it in. To make a very long story short it was covered under warranty. Once thay replaced the Wave washer on my 07 LE it was like a brand new bike. Not only was the shudder gone it even shifted smoother than when it was new.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
It looks like what my bike started doing and by the time I reached 10,000 It got so bad I had to bring it in. To make a very long story short it was covered under warranty. Once thay replaced the Wave washer on my 07 LE it was like a brand new bike. Not only was the shudder gone it even shifted smoother than when it was new.
FWIW, it's possible your shudder may return...it's caused by a lack of oil on the clutch plates...it's permenantly cured by doing the push pin mod...and since the dealer fixed your's, that didn't get done....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.