M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the board and finally got my m109r a few weeks ago. I have found allot of very great info on this site. So Thankyou to all of the posters. Anyway I was hoping some one could help me out. What is the largest size tire i can safely mount on my rear stock rim. My local dealer says its the 240. But to me it looks like there is room to go bigger. Thankyou for your help.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
260 metzeler or 250 avon/dunlop the search will show you many threads that have detailed this very subject.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
280 is the biggest you can go on a stock rim just ask "She's real fine my 109."

I would not go any bigger than a 260!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I bought a dunlop E3 240 40 18 an when I mounted it on the stock rim it looked totaly stupid the rim was much wider then the tire I removed it with out even riding on it and installed a E3 250 40 18 size it looks great, rides great, dont make the mistake I made buy the 250 40 18, dunlop its the cheaper priced tire but its a quality tire never the less and it works great, yes avon and metsler are great too, sorry for the spelling. P.S. I lost $40 dollars selling it on craigs list Did'nt want to return to my buddys shop knowing it was my mistake.:doorag:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bought a dunlop E3 240 40 18 an when I mounted it on the stock rim it looked totaly stupid the rim was much wider then the tire I removed it with out even riding on it and installed a E3 250 40 18 size it looks great, rides great, dont make the mistake I made buy the 250 40 18, dunlop its the cheaper priced tire but its a quality tire never the less and it works great, yes avon and metsler are great too, sorry for the spelling. P.S. I lost $40 dollars selling it on craigs list Did'nt want to return to my buddys shop knowing it was my mistake.:doorag:
That is exactly what I am going to do for my rear tire, per your advice. Its this kind of knowledge and advice that makes this board the awesome thing that it is. Thanks Rudeboy.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Hi, I am new to the board and finally got my m109r a few weeks ago. I have found allot of very great info on this site. So Thankyou to all of the posters. Anyway I was hoping some one could help me out. What is the largest size tire i can safely mount on my rear stock rim. My local dealer says its the 240. But to me it looks like there is room to go bigger. Thankyou for your help.
You must have missed the 100 plus threads asking this very question. :D

260 metzeler or 250 avon/dunlop E3 the search will show you many threads that have detailed this very subject.
:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum. :bigthumbsup:

Check out the links in my signature.

Have fun and ride safe. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
That is exactly what I am going to do for my rear tire, per your advice. Its this kind of knowledge and advice that makes this board the awesome thing that it is. Thanks Rudeboy.
shinko 005

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
280 is the biggest you can go on a stock rim just ask "She's real fine my 109."

I would not go any bigger than a 260!
He is an idiot never take advice from him.260 is the widest you should go any more and you will have to get a wider wheel.:bigthumbsup: And welcome ride safe ride smart stay alive.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
sherealfine in 5....4......3.......2.......

Most will tell you 260 max, there are a few......."others" who do a 280, but it's NOT recommended.

OH! and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
When you install a 280 on the stock rim, it causes the tire sidewalls to curve around excessively in order to meet the rim, thus it is no wider than the Dunlop250 after all-is-said-and-done. It also wears rather badly from the pictures I have seen.

The Dunlop E3 250 is a perfect tire for this bike, bigger than the Metzeler 260, and has good tread life. I'll be using this tire for as long as I own this bike.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Didn't the E3s have a problem at speed?(100mph+)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I have had mine over 100 several times, no problem here. If memory serves me, it really only happens to those who are riding in the 120 to 130 range, and that ain't me. I got no need to ride that fast, and rarely ever see 100. So the E3 will work for me. I have over 4,000 on mine so far, and still have enough tread to indicate it will go 9,000 or more.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
e3 on the front are not worth crud mine wore uneven within 800 miles went with the metz 160 no complaints the e3 250 is fine over 125 done quite a few times.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
e3 on the front are not worth crud mine wore uneven within 800 miles went with the metz 160 no complaints the e3 250 is fine over 125 done quite a few times.
My E3 front has the same mileage as the rear, a bit over 4,000. It has worn completely evenly, as has a friends on his 109 with 3,000 showing.
Its all in the pressure you keep them at. I keep mine at 42 psi, +/- 2 psi.
Same with the stockers that got me 11,000 miles.

But I have a Sears compressor in the garage, and it is easy to keep them properly inflated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts