M109 Rider Forums banner

Rear tire replacement

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  LC 
#1 ·
Ok guy's,
  I have to order a rear tire today due to a misplaced nail at 100 miles.  Now I've read the  250 Dunlop Elite 3 is a little wider than the 260 Metzeler ME 880 XXL . Tire size aside, which tire would you replace your rear with and why? Does one have better rain traction than the other?

Thanks for any and all replies,
Mazatrol

#2 ·
It seems reading some posts that the Metz was favored...Even Hal said after careful consideration that he is going with the Metz...if for
nothing else , the more aggressive tread pattern...

There have been other guys that went the same route.....I heard the Metz gives you better traction , flip a coin.

#3 ·
I ran the Metz on my two VTX's and liked them but the rear tire (a couple of 200's and three or four 180's) wore out quickly (~5K). They were better than the stock Dunnies but now I'm trying an Avon on my X.

I might be wrong but I think the Metz is 9.5" and the other tire is 10".

Carl

#4 ·
I'm definitely going the 260 Metz when the time comes. Cornering ability is important to me even if it's not the 109's main forte. The Metz should lean it more in that direction and yes, I purposely used the word lean. It offers better patern, better grip in my opinion, and wear isn't biggect issue for me. I seldom go through more than two sets a year on tires and with surgery pending may get less riding time this year. I'll certainly try to make up for the down time though, and on a tire I've come to trust.
Jer

#5 ·
I will be replacing my rear tire since I got a pea size hole in mine just two days ago. Arrrrgggggghhhh!!!  :mad:  A friend plugged it but I'll keep it as a spare and will (probably) go with the Metz. I also like its aggresive  tread pattern. Dammit Jim! Oh well.

#7 ·
HalGreenlee said:
I am going with the Metzeler 260. I like the tread pattern.

I did run the Dunlop 250 on another bike and it takes a lot more effort to get the bike to turn as the tire has a flatter profile. IMHO.
Hal, doesnt that 250 have nearly the same profile as our stock 240??? (pics from Lamont comparing them someplace around here..) Is it possible that the effort was due to the other bike??

Sledzep

#10 ·
sledzep01 said:
Hal, doesnt that 250 have nearly the same profile as our stock 240??? (pics from Lamont comparing them someplace around here..) Is it possible that the effort was due to the other bike??

Sledzep
No, I rode a buch of victories 2 weekends ago and it was like turning a 53 buick. It was ridiculous.

No way will I buy that tire. The 260 is 1/8 narrower but turns much sharper. It is softer so it won't last as long.

Our tire is a "sport" and the 250 is a "touring"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.