M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 06' 109 with a Metzeler ME880 260/40 on the rear. this was the one that was on it when i bought it. with this being my first fat tire bike...will the local shop charge me more than normal shop rate to install the big back tire??? do you save any money by buying a tire online and taking it to the shop?

thanks!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Where I live, you need to shop long and hard to find a shop that will mount a tire that you did not buy from them. With that said, shop the internet, get honet price with shipping included then go to local dealer and tell them you would rather buy local and have them install but you would like for them to match the tire price. Most are good with this.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Unless you have no mechanical ability you can take the rear tire and wheel off yourself and save the $ you would have paid a dealer. I did it in 30 minutes on my first try and paid a tire shop $20 to dismount the old tire and remount the new one. Just dig into your service manual and it will help you out alot.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Unless you have no mechanical ability you can take the rear tire and wheel off yourself and save the $ you would have paid a dealer. I did it in 30 minutes on my first try and paid a tire shop $20 to dismount the old tire and remount the new one. Just dig into your service manual and it will help you out alot.
I agree...I would call the dealer in advance and state that you have the wheel off and want them to mount the tire only, not balance (if using Dyna Beads)...and see what they say...get a name of the person you spoke to...and ask for that person when you go in. If they are not balancing it, should be somewhere around 20 bucks.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i work at a toyota store and we charge the same rate be it 15s on a yaris or 24s on a tundra.

not sure if its the same in the cycle field or not but it should be....youd think.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
i have an 06' 109 with a Metzeler ME880 260/40 on the rear. this was the one that was on it when i bought it. with this being my first fat tire bike...will the local shop charge me more than normal shop rate to install the big back tire??? do you save any money by buying a tire online and taking it to the shop?

thanks!
Much cheaper to buy it online. And them i take off the wheels and carry them in to have them mounted.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
This farm boy does it all his self. I just cut up some garden hose so I don't mark up the rim. The more I do it the easier it gets. I stopped at a sport shop and got a set of bike tire bars. The tire slips on easy if you spray a little window wash on the bead. When you put air in, you want to hear the two beads POP. Then I top the job off with dyna beads. DONE. Oh yea. The front tire goes on harder then the back.

After changing this set up. There is no way in hell that this tire would ever pop of the rim.

Have some fun and save the big $s.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
here in Atlanta I have not found one shop that would not install a tire that I bought online, now the prices vary, I found one just down the road for 39 per tire and they said they would match the online price the next time I needed a tire

Doc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts