M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body know how much the dunnie E3, or any of the rear tires grow at a highway speed?? i have some ideas in mind and really need to know this. searched it and came up with a bunch of front tire stuff but no rear tire stuff.

thanks a bunch guys.:bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
LOL

I watch dragsters and the likes, and they expand quite a bit. I don't think we have that kinda of power and those tires are real flexible. Our dunnies are a pretty firm tire. I wouldn't think they have the same characteristics. Never thought about it much.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I watch dragsters and the likes, and they expand quite a bit. I don't think we have that kinda of power and those tires are real flexible. Our dunnies are a pretty firm tire. I wouldn't think they have the same characteristics. Never thought about it much.
Our bike tires don't do the same thing as dragster tires. For one thing, they're only running 5-10 PSI in those tires, for another thing, they're spinning at a much high RPM than bike tires.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had a temporary rubbing issue with my 280 and stock swingarm. It was fine at 35psi, rubbed when I took it to 42psi. I slid a piece of paper between the tire and swingarm and slowly let air out. The paper fell out and I could visually confirm the gap getting bigger. Based on that, it's apparent that as air pressure increases in my Metz 280, the tire expands outwards. I suppose it'll be different for different tires as well, but I would think that could be measured to some degree similar to the way I did it. Air pressure is air pressure, warm or cold, the only variable in my case would be a warm tire and if it allows more expansion than a cold tire.
In terms of vertical expansion, can't help you there. Never really cared to measure, but it'd be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Strap it to your bench lift and test it to see if you have the clearance you need.

G

·
Any body know how much the dunnie E3, or any of the rear tires grow at a highway speed?? i have some ideas in mind and really need to know this. searched it and came up with a bunch of front tire stuff but no rear tire stuff.

thanks a bunch guys.:bigthumbsup:
Too many variables. All I've ever seen is a blurb on manf site that talked about "minimal expansion to tuck in as close to your fender as possible" or something of that ilk. Hard numbers, whew...I dunno. I'd say 1/4" TO 3/8" at speed.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Our bike tires don't do the same thing as dragster tires. For one thing, they're only running 5-10 PSI in those tires, for another thing, they're spinning at a much high RPM than bike tires.
:agree::agree: There might be some but I would think it would be hardly any at all.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Thinking of doing a swing arm mounted fender tight to the tire? I'd bet a Dunny 3 would grow less than a quarter inch at 150 mph

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
:agree::agree: There might be some but I would think it would be hardly any at all.
I can tell you that there IS some expansion....how much...too hard to say.

When I ride behind Lucky right after he has gone to a fresh 300, in very aggressive corners because of the outward forces his tire WILL RUB sometimes....as evidenced by the smoke trail. After a good day of riding, it's gone. He also says that too much air pressure will result in a rub, too.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
LOL Kinda what I said in my post, different all the way around.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thinking of doing a swing arm mounted fender tight to the tire? I'd bet a Dunny 3 would grow less than a quarter inch at 150 mph
something like that.....;)

i was thinking about the same thing, and im never in that speed range on the 9 anyway.

a few things will come and go before this is set into motion but if it all happens it should be........um..........badass.:evil:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
something like that.....;)

. . .

if it all happens it should be........um..........badass.:evil:
Agreed.

Something like that is on my winter mod list as well.

I can not wait to see what you come up with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts