M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking on FB Marketplace and ran across an ad for a M109R. When I opened the ad the first thing that caught my eye was the back tire. I’ve been riding a long time and have never seen this type of set up before. Now I’m guessing if this bike were to lean at all it would not go well?

Has anyone ever done this before and what are the pros if you have? I would like to get your reaction to it.
Plant Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,648 Posts
There are several on here that have done it, and most say it works OK. I won't do it. It's also pretty common on Gold Wings. It's called the Darkside mod. Apparently the key to leaning it is getting the tire pressure right.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yup, just search darkside here an youl find it

·
Registered
255 Posts
The ride is normal kind of. The turns are different. Initial tip-in is harder but you get used to it. It's mostly about tire pressure. I run 27 to 28 PSI and that's like the sweet spot for the tire. The only other con is the rear tire tracks with ruts and the road a lot more than the motorcycle tire would. Kind of obvious because of its wider patch of contact. This is mostly only noticeable at low speeds.
The main reason I use it is the amount of mileage I get. I may get 4,000 miles out of a hard compound tire in the summertime down here in Southeast Georgia. Whereas this one I've yet to wear it out. 55,000 mi tire rated for a car that weighs 38 to 4,200 lb. With a speed rating of 168. I would have got a higher speed rating but I couldn't find one that I wanted to pay for.
I honestly couldn't care less about the way it looks. It's all about performance. Traction is out of this world. If you currently have a problem pulling the front end on your bike it will not get any better. Ask me how I know!?
It is definitely not for everyone. I mounted it to a spare wheel from my 2006 M109R to see if I like it. The only thing I'm going to change when I eventually wear this tire out is I didn't get a directional tire. So leaning to the left versus leaning to the right are different inputs but nothing to deter me from the tire.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I've been on the darkside for more than ten years. I had one on my Nomad and it worked great. Currently I am running a car tire on my 2008 Goldwing, 2008 ST-1300, and the 2006 1800S VTX. All are fine. However, I had one on my 2006 M109R and I wasn't happy with it. I think it was too wide (255). I have since sold the 2006 M109R and I won't put a car tire on my 2013 M109R. I found that the wide car tire was too unstable on uneven surfaces.

Compared to motorcycle tires car tires are less expensive, last much longer, are smoother and quieter (no cupping), easier to repair with a plug, much more traction in sand and on wet pavement, much higher load carrying capacity, and I have never had a problem with handling in the twisties. As I recall, I don't think any of my car tires are balanced.

Some Goldwing riders use run flat tires, so they don't worry about getting stranded due to a flat tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I rode the "Darkside" for a while on my 2017 109R Boss. There are both pros and cons. In the end, it's all about preference. To be a true judge of the "Darkside" you must ride it. It's not for everyone, but it's a different experience.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
6,004 Posts
Check with your insurance company. If you happen to go down, you may find that coverage is denied. Just 1 reason to think long & hard before going darkside.

Reactions: Joe RC51

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are several on here that have done it, and most say it works OK. I won't do it. It's also pretty common on Gold Wings. It's called the Darkside mod. Apparently the key to leaning it is getting the tire pressure right.
Add wet pavement and or gravel in a turn plus uneven road surfaces. Safety wins over mileage potential.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been on the darkside for more than ten years. I had one on my Nomad and it worked great. Currently I am running a car tire on my 2008 Goldwing, 2008 ST-1300, and the 2006 1800S VTX. All are fine. However, I had one on my 2006 M109R and I wasn't happy with it. I think it was too wide (255). I have since sold the 2006 M109R and I won't put a car tire on my 2013 M109R. I found that the wide car tire was too unstable on uneven surfaces.

Compared to motorcycle tires car tires are less expensive, last much longer, are smoother and quieter (no cupping), easier to repair with a plug, much more traction in sand and on wet pavement, much higher load carrying capacity, and I have never had a problem with handling in the twisties. As I recall, I don't think any of my car tires are balanced.

Some Goldwing riders use run flat tires, so they don't worry about getting stranded due to a flat tire.
What make and model tire is the one in this pic? I noticed it has a symmetrical tread pattern...

·
Registered
885 Posts
What make and model tire is the one in this pic? I noticed it has a symmetrical tread pattern...
Sorry Grampy, I disposed of all of my paperwork and files about the 2007 M109R after I sold it. I didn't pay much for the tire and I think the size was a 255/45-18. The tire worked well on most roads, even in the twisties. It was not good in rough gravel areas or on a road with a steep crown.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Did see an article on running car tyres on bikes once and the main issue was the bead to rim design between cars and bikes is completely different so car tyres don't seat properly on motorcycle rims.
Yes, much has been written about the different bead design between a car rim and a motorcycle rim. I've seen diagrams, cut-away photos, and even a couple of testimonials where the car tire lost its bead contact with the rim. As I recall, in both instances, the problem was that the tires had totally deflated while parked, so there wasn't any danger. I have run car tires at very low pressures in an effort to determine the best handling characteristics. I didn't find much difference between running at low pressure vs higher pressure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts