M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to gather all this into one thread - there's a whole bunch of different ideas out there:

Directline has these three options:

ONE
Signal Dynamics chrome license plate frame with LED bar
http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=366&str=290&ID=240726442
(requires separate mounting kit???)
Signal Dynamics mounting kit for their chrome license plate frame
http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=362&str=290&ID=240726442

TWO
Kuryakyn LED License Plate Bolt Lights(Pair)
http://directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=License+Plate&str=290&ID=240726442

THREE
Cycle House 4 LED courtesy lights. Available in blue, green, white (I think?)
http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1218&str=290&ID=240726442

Does Option One fit with the new tag mod no problem including the bore holes?

Does Option Two provide adequate lighting? Plus do you splice your lines together and shrinkwrap (seems the solution but thought I'd ask)

Does Option Three fit and offer adequate lighting?

(Is there an option Four?) ;)

G

·
I just completed this, this week and went through alot of this. I will try and answer best I can. Option One would work, but I think the LED bar would have to go on the bottom. I do not believe you would have enough clearance on the top of the plate. The holes on the Direct Line plate (Cycle House Plate) are pretty big) so take note to what size bolts you use for whatever license plate mount you get. Some folks here posted a couple weeks ago that they had problems with the Kuryakyn license plate bolts shorting out. One guy went through three sets. I went with the Option three you listed and although it does provide light it really only lights up the center of the tag at night. As for the wiring, I wrapped my wires in shrink tubing just to play safe and then ran them up inside the rear of the fender under the taillight to keep them water tight.

There is another option, not to confuse the situation any further, but Signal Dynamics makes a plate with a row of white LED's built into it across the top. I have seen it on a 109 and it looks good. Here is the link. http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminatorz_licence_plates.htm#Billet LED License Plate Frame If you go with this, you have to drill a small hole just above the top right license plate mount hole to run the LED wire through. The one for $29.99 is pretty nice. The lighting is even and the chrome is pretty good.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I have the Cycle House plate bracket, a cheap chrome frame from Wal Mart, and the 4 LED courtesy light. I haven't actually bolted or secured the LED light. I make the hole small enough that the wires from the LED light keep it tight against the underside of the fender. It's a very tight fit, and really doesn't light the plate very well. It is bright in the top center, but fades pretty fast since LED lights don't usually throw light to the side real well.

As for the option Bruno showed.... I've considered buying that lighted frame. I think that if you are going to use it with the cycle house bracket, you will need to mount it upside down, with the lights pointing up from below. I think it will be too tight to fit otherwise, plus the angle of the plate will leave the lights too visible from behind. You don't want to see the lights... just the lit up plate.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well I just received my second set of bolt lights Friday.. One of them had the short, one did not-- just like the first set. So I used one good one from each set, ( I combined the power & ground wires to the single wires on the 109 ). I like the look , and they do a great job of lighting up the plate. I am a Little bit concerned about how long they will last.. But for now, I'm happy...

G

·
I like Hal's new plate. That would really clean up the back end alot. No need for separate turnsignals.

If you don't want to go that way there are many options. I mounted my LED light with 3M exterior grade (Red) Double sided tape. This is the same stuff Kuryakyn and other aftermarket companies use for their products. Stuff sticks like crazy. Available at Lowe's or Home Depot. That way you don't have to drill holes. I actually used two layers as the LED I used had a recessed back section. The Signal Dynamics plate can be mounted upright, but I think you have to bend the plate a little bit downward. I saw the plate on Felix T Cat's bike last week. He is on this forum and has it wired up and has been running with it on his bike. He has pix shown somewhere on thiis board. As a side note: I have one brand new if you are interested that I will give you at cost if you want it, just PM me.

If you are not sold on the Kuryakyn bolt LED's There are others available: Check these out: http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminatorz_licence_plates.htm Go to the bottom of the page. They are calle Lite N Boltz. They are moderate light LED's. Two would do the job turned slightly inward. They make two that look similar without the LED to even out the plate also.

G

·
MC57 said:
Well I just received my second set of bolt lights Friday.. One of them had the short, one did not-- just like the first set. So I used one good one from each set, ( I combined the power &Â ground wires to the single wires on the 109 ). I like the look , and they do a great job of lighting up the plate. I am a Little bit concerned about how long they will last.. But for now, I'm happy...
When I took my light bolts off of the bike yesterday so I could put on the new setup the fell apart as I undid them. Glad I got them off of the bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
When I took my light bolts off of the bike yesterday so I could put on the new setup the fell apart as I undid them. Glad I got them off of the bike.
Well that makes me feel much better :D Maybe directline should pull these from the site Hal... It might save some people from wasting their time and money ;) Nice job on this forum Hal, I will continue to buy from you , and am waiting on future offerings , pipes, air, etc... MC.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
Are you talking about these?

If so what fell apart? I'm getting ready to add those to my bike and the lights check out fine (no shorts) but I may hold off to you tell me what fell apart. ::)

G

·
Lamonster said:
Are you talking about these?

If so what fell apart? I'm getting ready to add those to my bike and the lights check out fine (no shorts) but I may hold off to you tell me what fell apart. ::)
They are either pressed together or maybe glued but here is what I got yesterday:

·
Registered
768 Posts
I want my license plate assembly as small as possible, no frame or anything. I want it to look like a just attached a plate quickly so I could take my show bike for a ride.

Gonna try and mount a few LEDs underneath the fender, above the license plate. Totally out of sight. No bolt lights because I have no bolts! The plate will be velcroed on with several strips behind the plate. Worked great on my last bike.

Can't I just mount the license plate on the back of my helmet? :joke:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well - the bolts are a definite no then.

Personally - I like the idea of a lighted frame but no red reflectors or anything - just chrome...

Option for the LED though if it sticks would seem to the best for me - some 3M tape and the light - so long as it fits in there (and it appears it does from everyone's input)

Good feedback everyone! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did the kuryakyn plate and leds bolts.First set one had a loose wire.Called and they sent me a brand new set and said keep the old ones for a spare.They work great and I love the blue glow.No shorts,nothing.Perfect mod.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Run away from the light bolts as fast as you can. I have 3 sets (2 are shorted) and by the time I got the third set I was scared to even use them.
I used the same lighted plate as fyrmanjam but I mounted it the other direction so the light shines down on the plate. It required me to notch the licence plate and drill a small hole in the cycle house kit for the LED power wires but I am very happy with it.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Felix T Cat said:
Run away from the light bolts as fast as you can. I have 3 sets (2 are shorted) and by the time I got the third set I was scared to even use them.
You need to speak a little louder next time. ;) I just installed these on my bike and I even tested them before I put them on. I figured I must have a good set, wrong! :verymad: I turned on the power and "pop", sure enough I blew a fuse. :realmad: These are junk for sure and I hope DL can turn the ones they have back in for credit. We need to take them out of the store too. :chillout:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Consider yourself lucky! Now that I have a working set I am happy, Like you I think the blue glow is cool, I just hope they last...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts