M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear rim was in for repair. It was dented. The dealer had it sent out to be repaired back to stock. I was able to take a look at it yesterday, and noticed it wasn't as smooth as stock anymore. It originally had a smooth finish, now it seems pitted. Not rough, but looks like it was sand blasted, then painted, but the sand blasting pitted the rim or something.
If anyone knows a little about bringing a rim back to stock, and what would cause this, I would appreciate the feedback.
Unfortunatly I wasn't able to get any photo's.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
775 Posts
don't know what the damage to yours was; but i bent my rim once running over a curb. took to a shop to get fixed and actually watched them do it. they heated it up on the bent part and used curved cabers and ball peen hammers on it. it left a good bit of scaring. they took the scars out with a beadblaster (very similiar to a sandblaster) then repainted. it also left some pitting, but looked much better than when i walked in with it.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The sand/beadblasting will leave and slightly rough or lightly pited look and feel to the metal(how bad it is, all depends on how coarse the media is), unless the piece is sanded/polished back to being smooth before paint/powdercoat/ chrome is applied. Its all in the prep work, that what determines what the finished piece will turn out like.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the rim was smooth before it went in, just like every one else's.
Now it doesn't have that same finish. I don't really like it, makes it looks cheap.
I was pretty clear to them prior to repairing it, it had to look stock, or don't bother repairing it, just replace it.
thanks for the confirmation guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts