M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Lamont's rear plate bracket yesterday. BTW, I had a question about it and Lamont answered the phone and helped, then called back to check on me. Very Cool! However. I installed the LED lights in the rear struts very cleanly, then routed the wires up into the original location. But here's the deal, after all the crimping, soldering and installation of the load equalizer, I could not find a place to locate the wires where they allow installation of the rear section. Very frustrating indeed. Also, I installed the small 4-LED light from Directline for a license plate light, and it also interferes with the rear lip of the tail section. I'm just telling you all this so you don't make the same mistakes I did. Here's my plan:

1. Route the turn signal wires up behind the struts to their plugs and bypass the rear holes etc. I'll verify the clearance of the seat too and a good path up and over the inner fender.

2. The license plate light? Not sure. I can't go forward because it bumps aainst the new plate bracket. I'm considering a spacer that would allow the tail section lip to slide under. The lip is 1/2 inch, but light only allows for maybe and 1/8th.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same problem with my bracket, so I reversed it. I had to bend it but it fits nice now and fits under fender a little more.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
headvince said:
I had the same problem with my bracket, so I reversed it. I had to bend it but it fits nice now and fits under fender a little more.
That's very interesting that you said that. That's why I called Lamont. The way the bracket is cut, it's fitted perfectly flush under the fender, but backwards. I was very tempted to bend it as you obviously did. Lamont said it required spacers to work properly, but then it just doesn't seem right. How did you bend it so it was uniform all the way across. If I did that, it would change the whole thing and be a much more clean install.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This is some tough metal. I clamped it to a board (2/6) and then clamped some scrape angle iron I had at the crease I wanted to bend. Then I had a 2/4 and pushed on the other part of the plate. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does help. I'll take it to the local garage and see if they have a big vice. Once clamped in, I think a 2x4 used to bend it over will work. Now I'm excited. Lamont, if you're listening please consider this for future brackets.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Can I see a pic of the newly bent install?? I will be purchasing one soon and would like to be ahead of the game.

Sledzep

·
Registered
292 Posts
Felix T Cat said:
I ordered these for the lights
http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6023&str=290&ID=69464466

Unfortunately one has a ground to the case so I'm waiting for a replacement.
I ordered the same ones, It looks like there are two of you with this grounding problem, I hope this isn't common... also.. is there enough clearance between the bracket and the fender for the bolts? It looks like they stick out pretty far...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts