M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drained and swapped out the final gear oil with Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic (591 miles).

Question -- did anyone else notice that the original oil was disgustingly dirty, and that there didn't seem to be very much of it? Noticed a few shavings on the plug as well, but not too bad. I'm gonna change it again at my next oil change to see how it looks next time.

Bottom line -- don't wait too long to do your first final gear oil swap on this bike!

G

·
Mine wasn't all that dirty but there wasn't much in it. I'd say that it was as underfilled as some of the members crankcases were overfilled.

G

·
Is it as easy as changing motor oil? How is it to fill? (I didn't read the manual, I'm a man, its a sign of weakness)

·
Registered
78 Posts
easy to change! remove drain plug (bottom of final drive) and filler plug (center outside of final drive with large hex) drain the old gear oil ,reinstall drain plug. then refill final drive til oil is to the bottom of the fill hole...make sure bike is upright when filling

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Wanted said:
Just drained and swapped out the final gear oil with Mobil 1 75W-90 synthetic (591 miles).

Question -- did anyone else notice that the original oil was disgustingly dirty, and that there didn't seem to be very much of it? Noticed a few shavings on the plug as well, but not too bad. I'm gonna change it again at my next oil change to see how it looks next time.

Bottom line -- don't wait too long to do your first final gear oil swap on this bike!
I have the same 75w-90 Mobil 1 synthetic gear lubricant. It does not state on the bottle that it meets hyopid. I'm trying to find an Amsoil dealer that stocks there 80w-90 gear lube. They state that it meets/exceeds hyopid.

·
Registered
543 Posts
slick 50 for me.I am sold on the gear oil.Long story short.I asked my son to change my tran oil on my Toyota truck.He drained it but forgot to fill it.I drove it for 12 untill the shift starting slipping out of gear.Toyota said I had to change the scronizers.I filled it up with slick 50 gear oil,and in a week everything was back to normal.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rynosback said:
I have the same 75w-90 Mobil 1 synthetic gear lubricant. It does not state on the bottle that it meets hyopid. I'm trying to find an Amsoil dealer that stocks there 80w-90 gear lube. They state that it meets/exceeds hyopid.
The term "hypoid" does not refer specifically to the oil, but to a particular kind of gear tooth mechanism. In a hypiod gear, the gear teeth slide across each other. This is as oposed to an "involute" gear, where the gear teeth roll across each other without no sliding, like in a clock for example.

The GL-5 rating was developed to denote the inclusion of special additives which can handle the shearing forces inherent to hypoid gears. This means that any gear oil that is GL-5 rated or better is considered a "hypoid" oil.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SpeedStack said:
Now my OCD has kicked in and I'm going to check it before I ride again....

-Chad
You may have OCD, but at least you picked the right color for your bike! :D

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
Man oh man was it dirty. For the people who have not done it , you need a 21mm and 17mm wrench/socket for the two bolts. And it does not take much, I drained out about 180-190ml and the book specs it out at 200-220ml. I just put back what I took out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just did my first tune up today and the gear oil was really dirty. Only had 4 ounces when the specs call for almost 8 ounces. Lots of metal shaving as well....

·
Registered
525 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
mine was the same color as my bike sparkely siver.dealer said it was underserviced from the factory but it should be ok,it better or i'll get a free one ,huh!
Ya, mine was silvery too.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
rynosback said:
Man oh man was it dirty. For the people who have not done it , you need a 21mm and 17mm wrench/socket for the two bolts. And it does not take much, I drained out about 180-190ml and the book specs it out at 200-220ml. I just put back what I took out.
200-220 ml = ~6.7 to ~7.4 US ounces...that how much I put in my vs800's final drive, too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Coming up on 500 miles today and was going to take it to the dealer, but they want to charge me to do what sounds like 2 oil changes.

Do I really need a service manual to do the oil change? I have changed oil in lots of cars without service manuals before.

If so, where do I get the service manual?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I wouldn't think you'd need the manual to do either the final drive or engine oil change.

You just need the oil & filters. It's a very small amount of final drive oil needed, and I think somebody has stated it takes ~2800ml? for an oil & filter change for engine. From what I have read here, I think there are two bolts to remove to drop the oil in the M109R.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Should not effect anyone's bike, but just for general information. If you run across "GL-4" for any type machinery, make sure the Gear Lube you use is GL-4 rated. GL-5 DOES NOT Superceed GL-4 although some GL-5 Lubes will meet that Spec.

Bob

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oil Doc said:
Should not effect anyone's bike, but just for general information. If you run across "GL-4" for any type machinery, make sure the Gear Lube you use is GL-4 rated. GL-5 DOES NOT Superceed GL-4 although some GL-5 Lubes will meet that Spec.

Bob
This is true -- GL5 is not "better than" GL4, it's just for a different application. But our differential definitely needs GL5.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts