M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rear lights stayin on??? Not just a key position goof.

Got a 09 m109r about 4 weeks ago bought new. I rode it a couple of hours last night and parked in the garage. I was going to work this morning and noticed the tail light and license plate light on. Stuck the key in ignition and turned on like normal front lights, instrument lights, and rear lights all come on. I turn it back to the off position and the rear tail lights stay on. Had to go to work and I did not want my battery dead I disconnected the rear wiring harness under the seat. Anybody had this happen and a cure. I am thinking it has some type of relay for the parking light position on the ignition, but still waiting for my service manual to get to me. And no I am not confusing the off position with the Park position.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Got a 09 m109r about 4 weeks ago bought new. I rode it a couple of hours last night and parked in the garage. I was going to work this morning and noticed the tail light and license plate light on. Stuck the key in ignition and turned on like normal front lights, instrument lights, and rear lights all come on. I turn it back to the off position and the rear tail lights stay on. Had to go to work and I did not want my battery dead I disconnected the rear wiring harness under the seat. Anybody had this happen and a cure. I am thinking it has some type of relay for the parking light position on the ignition, but still waiting for my service manual to get to me. And no I am not confusing the off position with the Park position.
You are turning your key too far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
rear lights stay on

Really, not just a key position goof. My ignition switch is left to right OFF, ON, Parking lights. You have to physically push the key in and to the right to go into the parking light position. With the key in the OFF position the rear lights stay on. Since I started this thread I got in touch with a Suzuki Service Mananger (yeah I know on a Saturday evening). But he thinks the tumblers in the ignition are still making up in the OFF position. He says he heard of this rarely before but not ever worked on one himself. He wants it brought in to investigate. For now the only way to get the rear lights to go off is to disconnect harness under seat or disconnect battery. Still under warranty is a benefit. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
:welcome: to the forum bro, and I hope you get it fixed. I would have guessed you were turning on the park light function too, as I've never heard of the problem that you are having.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
Really, not just a key position goof. My ignition switch is left to right OFF, ON, Parking lights. You have to physically push the key in and to the right to go into the parking light position. With the key in the OFF position the rear lights stay on. Since I started this thread I got in touch with a Suzuki Service Mananger (yeah I know on a Saturday evening). But he thinks the tumblers in the ignition are still making up in the OFF position. He says he heard of this rarely before but not ever worked on one himself. He wants it brought in to investigate. For now the only way to get the rear lights to go off is to disconnect harness under seat or disconnect battery. Still under warranty is a benefit. Thanks for the suggestions.
Glad to hear that you were able to get some help on it so fast from Suzuki. I hope that you get it resolved quickly.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Straight back to the dealership

After having it for only 4 weeks (warranty) I would have taken it straight back to the dealership immediately without trying to figure out why it is doing that. If you had to disconnect the wiring harness to get the lights in the rear to go off, you should have contacted the dealership and exercised your warranty option right off the bat. JMHO.

I hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not enough time

Not enough time to get the bike to the dealer today. Just enough time to get home from work and call the service center and lucky someone was there to answer. Will be there first thing Monday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts