M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know where can you buy rear hub chromed, not plastic cover?
nobody is doing chroming at my place....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Check stumpworks out

Don't know were your at but Paul at stumpworks did mine set whole hub in minus shaft he took it apart and put it back no leaks at all, he stands by his wrk also liquid pain on the site is good from what I here.Paul is i Kansas,Ky I ship it usps flats rate.400 + 13 shipping

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Why don't you polish it yourself. You don't even need to take it off the bike. Here's mine in the pic below.

And yes, it's not chrome, but it was free to do for me since I already had all the polishing stuff from my wheels. While I was at it, I also did the derby cover too. It looks just like that.

I should have put on the chrome shaft cover for the pic, because they are VERY close in appearance.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Anyone here have any idea what the dealers are charging to disassemble/reassemble the hubs? Or better yet, how to get them apart without the special tools the manual calls for. I have two of them that I want to get plated. I prefer to use my own plater.
I have not done that as of yet. Have you tried PMing Matt/futureR?

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Why don't you polish it yourself. You don't even need to take it off the bike. Here's mine in the pic below.

And yes, it's not chrome, but it was free to do for me since I already had all the polishing stuff from my wheels. While I was at it, I also did the derby cover too. It looks just like that.

I should have put on the chrome shaft cover for the pic, because they are VERY close in appearance.

Man that lookes awesome! I have been looking into chroming mine over the winter.
If I had your patience and skill, I would just polish them. How long did it take for you to do that?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Man that lookes awesome! I have been looking into chroming mine over the winter.
If I had your patience and skill, I would just polish them. How long did it take for you to do that?
About 4 hours to get the hub where I wanted it. This includes time to strip the paint off.

Once the paint was off, I gave it a quick wetsand with 450 then 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper(10 minutes work).I then hit it with Black emery on a yellow, reinforced buffing wheel attached to a 10,000 rpm hand grinder. You will need a special adapter available at caswell plating. Be sure to wipe off the black residue with a rag before going to the next step. After that, I went straight to White diamond, on a regular sewn buffing wheel which brought the shine up.

I could have done it faster, but I wasn't in a rush, and I wanted to go the extra mile to get it just right.

I removed my derby cover and did that at the same time too. You will need to sand through the machining marks on the derby cover before beginning the steps above. I screwed it to a piece of wood through the bolt holes to make finishing easier.

PS- I did the hub right on the bike. If your rims are painted, be sure to protect them by taping them off with green or blue painter's tape incase you accidentally brush the buffing wheel up against them. Pay special attention to the attachment bolt on the other side of the buffing wheel. If you wrap it with a little tape, that will help if you accidentally touch something with that bolt. Just be careful not to do that, that is the best policy.

If you want to do the wheels, they do need to come off the bike first. There are threads about this too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Once the paint was off, I gave it a quick wetsand with 450 then 600 grit wet/dry sand

Question did you use regular paint striper to remove the paint from the HUB?

MAN THAT LOOKS FREAK'N AWESOME!... I HAVE MORE TIME THAN $$$ After seeing pictures of his HUB, I am BUMPED to tackle mine, might even do my forks and a couple of other pieces...

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
About 4 hours to get the hub where I wanted it. This includes time to strip the paint off.

Once the paint was off, I gave it a quick wetsand with 450 then 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper(10 minutes work).I then hit it with Black emery on a yellow, reinforced buffing wheel attached to a 10,000 rpm hand grinder. You will need a special adapter available at caswell plating. Be sure to wipe off the black residue with a rag before going to the next step. After that, I went straight to White diamond, on a regular sewn buffing wheel which brought the shine up.

I could have done it faster, but I wasn't in a rush, and I wanted to go the extra mile to get it just right.

I removed my derby cover and did that at the same time too. You will need to sand through the machining marks on the derby cover before beginning the steps above. I screwed it to a piece of wood through the bolt holes to make finishing easier.

PS- I did the hub right on the bike. If your rims are painted, be sure to protect them by taping them off with green or blue painter's tape incase you accidentally brush the buffing wheel up against them. Pay special attention to the attachment bolt on the other side of the buffing wheel. If you wrap it with a little tape, that will help if you accidentally touch something with that bolt. Just be careful not to do that, that is the best policy.

If you want to do the wheels, they do need to come off the bike first. There are threads about this too.
What would happen if one shot them with a couple coats of quality hard clear? To protect the shine from too much maintenance?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I did the same thing it just took longer to install card board and tape everything off than do the job. Use paint stripper from advance,wipe off with fine steel wool,wet sand 600,800, 1000,Mothers chrome polish,Bam. It is one of the smoothest section of aluminum on the bike it is not porise like inner rims.So it is easy to polish. 15 to 20 min max. and free.
Good luck
Dam Guy

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a chrome houseing on my 109 a lot of guys down here have polished theres and guess WHAT the chrome one kicks BUTT BIG TIME :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have a chrome houseing on my 109 a lot of guys down here have polished theres and guess WHAT the chrome one kicks BUTT BIG TIME :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:
You are right, it's not chrome, but it was relatively easy, and it was FREE if you've already got the polishing stuff.

I'm not one of those guys who can justify pouring 10K on chrome wheels and other high ticket items into a depreciating asset, so this works great for me. All the mods that I've chosen are more reasonably priced, and I still get tons of compliments.

·
Registered
108 Posts
THATS AWSOME BUD..

So how often do you have to polish the rims to achieve the resalt that you have,and what sort of drive shaft cover do you have?
Iwant to buy a drive shaft cover, but i heard they were a bit flimsy, and didnt fit all that well.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
So how often do you have to polish the rims to achieve the resalt that you have,and what sort of drive shaft cover do you have?
Iwant to buy a drive shaft cover, but i heard they were a bit flimsy, and didnt fit all that well.
I have the OEM Suzuki chrome drive shaft cover, and it looks great and fits well. Some find them a tight fit, but they go on fine and stay there. They are anything but flimsy, it's hard to spread them if you need to.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
crap, my hands are starting to cramp up just remembering the polishing. GO CHROME or paint it to match the bike! people like jerry get paid good money for a reason, their worth it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
If your wheels are polished then polishing your hub is the ticket. :bigthumbsup:

I have chrome rims and drive-shaft cover, and let me tell you the polished hub stands out like a sore thumb! Having Jerry chrome plate it is number 1 on my list for winter improvements...:doorag:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts