M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the Texas section that I was waiting to get my bike back from the dealer, fixing the rear seals. Someone PM'ed me asking what issues I had. Here's my reply:

All my issues were at the rear wheel. I noticed that the rear wheel had oil all over it after I rode for a few hours. You can tell the oil was spinning outward...

The oil in the diff was getting hot and expanding, since there was a tear / cut into the rear diff seal, it would leak. But, it would not leak while it was sitting still. The tech at the dealer told me that this was the second time they saw this and he call Zuki direct. He explained to me that they are building them to fast, not paying attention and putting the seals in was no easy task. After they replaced the seals, I went and put a few hundred miles and no leak...

I did notice after my 1st service, the drain plug was a bit chewed up. Like they had a problem or didn't use the right size socket to tighten the plug. There was some rear diff oil on the drain plug itself; so I tightened up myself and then it stop leaking from the drain plug. But I still kept having oil all over my rear wheel when I rode for a few hours... When they placed the seal, I had them replace the drain plug.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mine has just 300 miles on it and I noticed oil around the rear wheel just this morning. I looked closer and it does appear to be coming out of the seal from the rear differential. It doesn't appear to leak when standing still, but appears to be throwing it while riding.

How long did your dealer take to replace the seal and get the bike back to you? I'll probably get the seal done when I take it in for the 1st service.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rideutah said:
Mine has just 300 miles on it and I noticed oil around the rear wheel just this morning. I looked closer and it does appear to be coming out of the seal from the rear differential. It doesn't appear to leak when standing still, but appears to be throwing it while riding.

How long did your dealer take to replace the seal and get the bike back to you? I'll probably get the seal done when I take it in for the 1st service.
They had it about 5 days. Basically, just waiting on the seals to come in. :doorag:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Guess I'll give them a call and have them order the seals in now so they will have them when I take it in for the service. :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
rideutah said:

Mine weeped a bit of gear oil out of the seal on mine for about the first 1000mi ,that has gone away now (have 5000+mi and counting) so you might want to put a few more miles on it first IMO :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ppridgen1 said:
i do believe this has been beaten to death....in most cases it's after longer higher speed rides,causing the lube GREASE that is on the spline fittings outside of the gear box to be heated and to become more liquid and then it gets spun out of the rim/hub area and to be deposited on the rim!!
It was new to me and I figured since this board has new members joining all the time; I would share the info. In my case, the seals were torn and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
686 Posts
As much as mine has thrown, it can't just be a matter of the oil heating up, and something that should just be accepted. It's either a bad seal, something not seated or sealed correctly yet, or a terrible design flaw. I'm not ready to believe it's the latter yet, I'm guessing just the seal. I'll let it ride a little longer and see if it corrects itsself. If not, I'm going to keep hounding the dealership to get it fixed. If nothing else, I should get fresh oil in the rear end each time I make them work on it. We have a winter season coming up, so it will be easier to let go of the bike for a few days here and there to get it fixed right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Now have 1400m on the clock and the rear oil seal has started leaking, spinning oil around the rim.
After a ride when the bike has been at rest a few drops have fallen between from the gap between the
hub and the diff....appears to be a poor quality seal......waiting for dealer to replace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts