M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about any experiences you guys have had with the rear brakes. I went riding with some sport bike friends today and was dragging pegs and several times during the ride I was sideways with a locked rear brake.

It is pretty hot out today, I think 89 degrees so my tire could have been a little squirrelly but I felt that it was locking up much worse than it should. Even after I left and was driving home pretty mildly I still locked it twice with very little pressure.

I am wearing new boots and maybe the sole is thicker than I am used to but I didn't feel like I was putting much pressure on it.

You'd think with all that width and with the weight it wouldn't lock up so bad.

And no lectures on front brakes please. I know they are most of your stopping power and can do stoppies on a sport bike and am very familiar with utilizing them.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
no problems with my brakes. I do corner hard at times. Plus they are hydraulic brakes, no adjustment necessary.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All of the locking up was in straight line driving. I will chock it up to a hot day and an overly warm tire from all the corners and maybe a little to much pressure with the new boots.

I am taking the wife out on it tonight and will try and get sideways and see what she thinks :joke:

·
Radio Active Member
27,665 Posts
L-Train said:
All of the locking up was in straight line driving. I will chock it up to a hot day and an overly warm tire from all the corners and maybe a little to much pressure with the new boots.

I am taking the wife out on it tonight and will try and get sideways and see what she thinks :joke:
What do you think she is going to think? I would think she would say "stop and let me off"! Why take the chance that you might lose it. Especially with her on it as well. Sheesh I mean the in laws will have to come and take care of you both. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i've never locked up the rear.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've locked up the rear a few times from shifting down at high RPMs and letting the clutch out too fast. This bike engine-brakes real, real hard. Never with the rear pedal though.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
wanted, i agree. i engine brake a lot too, and have chirped it quite a few times. i should probably clarify...i've never locked up the rear tire using the disc brakes. :p

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rynosback, I was kidding about locking it up with her on it. :joke: Thank you for worrying about her though. I will tell her that you care :bigthumbsup:

I took it out later tonight, just got back, and it's not locking up at all. I think the tire was just "greasy" from to much heat and corners.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Lock up???
I was going to start a thread to see how to get it to work BETTER!!!!

:cus: :cus: Mine sucks :cus: :cus:

YEah I brake with the front, but the rear should be able to lock the rear if I tried to do it... Hell I can barely hold a hill at a light!!

That must have been one very greasy tire!! I scrape my pegs... but I know I dont really heat the rear up! Good Work!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Got my bike home, rear brake disc was discolored! I assume it was applying pressure but never locked up. Had to pull over 2 miles from dealership. Just assumed it was out of gas cause light was flashing. Apparently the brake was making it feel like it was sluggish. Rear tire never locked up though.

Later Jamie

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have adjusted my lever way down. I also am stepping on it with a size 14 boot.

Bottom line I think it was a greasy tire from the heat. I was able to lock it up this morning but I had to crank on it hard and fast.

It's going to be 94 degrees here today so maybe I will go run it hard for a while in the heat and see if i can duplicate it.

If I can I will let you all know.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Make sure the rotor is not loose on the studs. I think there were some issues with that on some older bikes 06's

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone heard about an issue that on long rides, at a certain moment you lose the rear brakes? Kind of like when the bike heats up or so????

Thanks for any info..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts