M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of the 109 riders have experienced this but after about 500 miles, my rear brake started to make noise. I now have 700+ miles on the bike and it does this all the time??? Will the dealer replace this, what is causing this to happen? I normally use both brakes when stopping. The pads look nice and thick

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Mine has been doing this for quite a while too. Not sure if it's the same sound, but mine sounds like there is dust on the brakes or the scratcher is hitting, but the brakes are clean and are nice and thick as well. Sorry no help, but you aren't alone, let me know what you find out!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Chuck said:
I will, and yes your problem accurately describes my brakes! :doorag:
Mine is actually at the dealer right now getting the clutch replaced. I really want it for this weekend, so if they have time, I'll have them check it out while they have it. Stupid me I don't know why I didn't think about this before! :redfaced:

·
Registered
817 Posts
+1 here.

After 4,000 miles, it is driving me so crazy that I'm having the dealer replace those fockers under warranty.

·
Registered
817 Posts
No, I only have pproblems with pperturbing ppissants.

Maybe your wife can by you a life sometime.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Mine did it around the 500 mile mark for a couple days. I washed the brakes and it has not done it since.

If it does come back, I may just take the pads off and spray some break quiet on this and reinstall. That should stop it permanently.

Brake squeal is caused by the vibration between the pad and the caliper, not the pad and disk. I use shims on my Harley F150 to keep it from making noise. I'm running semi-ceramic pads on cross-drilled and slotted rotors front and rear. The only noise they make is a flutter when the pads cross the slots. It's actually cool to hear it.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Delmustator said:
Mine did it around the 500 mile mark for a couple days. I washed the brakes and it has not done it since.

If it does come back, I may just take the pads off and spray some break quiet on this and reinstall. That should stop it permanently.
I tried all the standard fixes -- BrakeKleen, sanding the rotors, etc. It takes care of it for 50 miles or so, then it comes right back.

There was someone else who had a similar problem where it just kept coming back, and that's what mine is doing. It's just more annoying than anything else.

·
Registered
817 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
i agree ,but how about doing the pads, on the side that hits the piston ,with brake quiet .It's a type of high temp ruberized paint just for that problem. NAPA carries it .I wanna say it's made by CRC :bigthumbsup:
Never heard of it. I will check that out if the dealer can't fix it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
109's are having a problem with the rear pads. we did replace one set under warranty and now mine are starting to make noise. check the rotor, if the rotor is starting to get gouged then the pads need to be replaced. no amount of disc quiet is gong to fix it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
109RS said:
109's are having a problem with the rear pads. we did replace one set under warranty and now mine are starting to make noise. check the rotor, if the rotor is starting to get gouged then the pads need to be replaced. no amount of disc quiet is gong to fix it.
Gouging the rotor???? Did some junk get up in between the disk and pad?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
109RS said:
109's are having a problem with the rear pads. we did replace one set under warranty and now mine are starting to make noise. check the rotor, if the rotor is starting to get gouged then the pads need to be replaced. no amount of disc quiet is gong to fix it.
Thanks for the post 109rs! Do you work at a dealership by chance?? I better tell my dealer to really check it out. He said he'd spray it with some disc quiet or something like that and "it should take care of it."Â :redfaced: :confused: In their defense I bought the only 109 they've sold or serviced, so it's not like they have any others to compare it to. I'll just call them and make them aware. Were there any bulletins sent to the Suzuki dealerships??

·
Registered
317 Posts
yes i do, the brakes were squeeling bad. i noticed a light gouging on the rotor. i tried "deglazing" the pads and it still squeeled. called suzuki to get the ok for new pads they said to try brake quiet. it still squeeled. told suzuki it still squeeled they said to put pads on it. I put EBC pads on and haven't heard peep since. The gouging is not bad but enough to notice when you run your fingers over it. and yes over time the rotor will get some wear but not before the first service. for whatever reason the pads seem to have way too much metal in them. i have 400 miles on my own 109 and i am starting to hear an abnormal noise coming from the rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My dealer said that it was a design flaw on suzuki's part. Said that they trap dirt and dust in there. He said all he could do was to spray some brake cleaner in there and told me to do the same a couple times a week. WTH? Why should I have to do this? If they put different pads on will it stop the squeaking?

G

·
As one of the guys in this thread said - brake squeal is usually caused by the pad vibrating at a very high frequency against the caliper piston. It normally does not eminate from the pad and rotor.

One trick we use on cars in my buddy's shop is to clean the face of the caliper piston and back of brake pad with good brake cleaner. Let them both dry. Then put a light coat of silicone (clear) on the caliper piston where it touches the pad, then put the pad in the caliper and put it back on the vehicle. This usually does the trick on a car/truck. May work on your bike?

My 109 does not squeal, but I don't have a lot of miles on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts