M109 Rider Forums banner

Rear Brake Squeal and Rubbing

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rynosback 
#1 ·
I now have about 2200 miles on my 109. At 1800 miles my rear brake started squealing and rubbing noises. I took it in to my dealer and the service manager called Suzuki about the problem. They advised him to remove the pads and put some type of red "Brake Quite" solution on the backs of the pads. He did and I rode the bike about 25 miles and it started again. I took the bike to a friend of mine that runs a front end and brake shop and he took a look and advised me that I just had a bad set of brake pads and to sand the rotors and put new pads and that would solve the problem. I took it back to my service manager and he repaced the pads. The pads he took off were very rough and grainy to the touch and had left some deep marks in the rear rotor. The pads he took off had gray looking metal in them and the one's he put on have brass looking metal. After 400 miles they took them off yesterday and they are wearing very smooth and the rotor is also smooth. My friend that runs the brake shop said he gets about 1 set out of 50 that are bad but he can look at them now and tell whether they are bad or not before he puts them on. They didn't charge me for any of this work at the Suzuki shop and advised Suzuki that their solution didn't solve the problem and what did. Thought everyone might want this info in case you encounter the same problem.

#7 ·
i can hear mine when the brakes aren't engaged. sounds like it's coming from the front. not sure if it's brake dust (haven't washed them yet) or if there is something wrong. i checked the discs, they are smooth and unridged. have approx 1200 miles on the bike.

#8 ·
My Vulcan 750 had some scrubbing sound from the front brakes and could hear it at low speed. Never had a problem with them. I guess thats the price you pay for having quick brake reaction. The pads a slightly touching the rotors, so when you do apply the brake they start grabbing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.