M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,action,here.i have a problem with getting enough leverage on the rear brake.the only way i can engage fully the rear brake is to mash it with my heal.i do have some weakness in the right foot due to back surgery.when i use the ball of my foot i can only get enough brake to slow down.any suggestions would be great.
PURPLE SIDE UP
ACTION :D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
you might try adjusting it forward 2 notches. if that doesn't work, how about some calf raises? :joke: :bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
844 Posts
If your weakness is in the direction of angling your foot downward (like standing on tiptoes) -- then you would want to move the pedal UP, (backwards) -- not forward, as suggested above. (The farther forward the pedal is, the MORE ankle motion you need to depress it.)

Frankly, this is a very special kind of problem (that could get you in a lot of trouble) -- it MAY require a re-designed pedal, so that you can push it forward by straightening you KNEE, rather than relying on ankle strength (which is lacking).

IMHO -- this should definitely be your FIRST mod.

·
Registered
600 Posts
The rear brake on the M isn't going to do much in any case, under normal braking. I use it to trail-brake when in the mountains, but it's not good for much else. I'm not saying to not use it. I still apply both brakes when stopping. I'm just thinking that maybe you're comparing it to another bike you've ridden recently. In a review I read before buying mine, the writer described it perfectly... "I applied the rear brake and it was, like, 'Huh?' " Post back after you make any adjustments and let us know if it made a difference :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Trouble_Is said:
The rear brake on the M isn't going to do much in any case, under normal braking. I use it to trail-brake when in the mountains, but it's not good for much else. I'm not saying to not use it. I still apply both brakes when stopping. I'm just thinking that maybe you're comparing it to another bike you've ridden recently. In a review I read before buying mine, the writer described it perfectly... "I applied the rear brake and it was, like, 'Huh?' " Post back after you make any adjustments and let us know if it made a difference :bigthumbsup:
You forgot "but it's not good for much else" that it is a pretty effective noise maker. Maybe it would scare all the deer off the back roads! :bigthumbsup: :joke: :doorag:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Chuck said:
You forgot "but it's not good for much else" that it is a pretty effective noise maker. Maybe it would scare all the deer off the back roads! :bigthumbsup: :joke: :doorag:
+1 Wish it worked quietly!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I looked at the brake pedal for the c90 the other day and I think it may fit the 9, but it doesn't have a hole for the spring. This will give a straight shot out so we could have foot room and the pedal in position for maximum pressure for the break. In theory any way, if the thing will fit, it is on a spindle as well. I measured with a tape, no mike handy and it looks right, It costs about $100. Have gave thought to ordering it and trying it , but does anyone know of a clip or something chrome or chromish that could be put around the shaft of the pedal to hook the spring to ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
EBC HH pads will really make a difference and if you really want better brakes go to a combo of those pads and Gafler SS lines. Also, remember on bikes and cars the rear brake is only 20% and the front is 80% of the stopping power......thats why the front has two rotors. Make sure that you keep the proper air pressure about 36f, 42r.  IMHO your driving technique is your greatest margin of safety. Hard braking should only be in an emergency situations. Gearing down reduces your dependance on the brakes, but this tech is deadly when you need to brake hard.  I believe the experts say for hard braking its:
  • pull in clutch
  • add both brakes
  • front brake
rear brake, esently simeltaniously. :cop:

·
Registered
401 Posts
The front brake is actually 70% and the rear is 30% of total stopping power, took the MSF last weekend.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
BearCom said:
The front brake is actually 70% and the rear is 30% of total stopping power, took the MSF last weekend.
That all depend on road conditions ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the insightfull responses.i think tomph1 has the best grasp of my problem. i have found the rear will perform if i can.using my heal,will greatly improve braking.this tells me i have leverage problem.i will rotate the pedal to the rear.if i need more i will stack the pedal.i wonder what that will do to the spring can i get a shorter one?i've been riding heavies for tweny years so i guess i have a fair amount of braking skills lol.
NOISE who said anything about NOISE ? LOL
thanx folks :joke:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts