M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Junk Yard Dog had trouble getting his foot to sit on the brake pedal. So here is how he solved it. He also took some of the angle out of the arm.

·
Registered
898 Posts
sweet  :bigthumbsup: i need to look at doing something like this also ... long legs and stock position or not a good mix...

khrome

·
Registered
752 Posts
That looks really good. I was to impatient and just took a hammer to it. Same result but his doesn't look like he dropped the bike. :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
L-Train said:
That looks really good. I was to impatient and just took a hammer to it. Same result but his doesn't look like he dropped the bike.  :eek:
Thats pretty funny.

·
Registered
752 Posts
moto said:
DUDE, I KNOW YOU DIDN'T PUT A HAMMER ON THAT BIKE.
I took it off and shaped it on my garage floor with a 29oz eastwing framers hammer.

Then I put it back on.

It was a frustration thing. I need to buy a replacement and do it right.

·
Registered
116 Posts
:bigthumbsup: I did the same mod the day after I bought the bike. I cut it off at the second ring from the outside. Made a tremendous difference in foot placement and comfort.

I couldn't stand the stock length. Pretty much gives just one place to put your foot and for me that place was very uncomfortable. I'm not sure what Suzuki was thinking in making the pedal as long as it was. There's plenty of pedal for safe braking after cutting off an inch or so.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I REALLY DON'T KNOW , BUT I WOULD SUGGEST BUYING NEW PEGS OR FOOT REST. I LIKE THE ONES ON THE COBRA BIKE. THE BRAKE PEDAL ISN'T THE ONE THAT BOTHERS ME ITS THE GEAR SHIFTER I MISS SECOND GEAR EVERY NOW AND THEN.

·
Registered
190 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
The Junk Yard Dog had trouble getting his foot to sit on the brake pedal. So here is how he solved it. He also took some of the angle out of the arm.
Hal, I have a question or two. Do you know what he used to cut off (or did he grind down) the end of the pedal? Also, what did he do with the edge after cutting (it looks in the picture he touched up the edge with black paint)?

Final question since you seem to know these bikes much better than myself. Today when adjusting my brake pedal, I took note of the bracket the peg and brake mechanism is attached to, and frankly would have liked to push the pedal forward (down) even more, but as you know problem is that it hits the bracket if you push to forward. I was thinking about just cutting a "notch" into that bracket about a 1/4" or so wide and about 1/2" deep, so the brake pedal could still be fully depressed all the way down for braking without hitting that bracket. In your opinion do you think that would be a viable solution?

·
Registered
593 Posts
No complaints here since I modfied the shift lever, used the weight of the bike and good ole concrete. It was easy and the concrete tool is eveywhere. 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Investor said:
Hal, I have a question or two. Do you know what he used to cut off (or did he grind down) the end of the pedal? Also, what did he do with the edge after cutting (it looks in the picture he touched up the edge with black paint)?Â

Final question since you seem to know these bikes much better than myself. Today when adjusting my brake pedal, I took note of the bracket the peg and brake mechanism is attached to, and frankly would have liked to push the pedal forward (down) even more, but as you know problem is that it hits the bracket if you push to forward. I was thinking about just cutting a "notch" into that bracket about a 1/4" or so wide and about 1/2" deep, so the brake pedal could still be fully depressed all the way down for braking without hitting that bracket. In your opinion do you think that would be a viable solution?
Other than the black paint I don't know what he used.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I removed the brake pedal from the bike and used a horizontal band saw at work to cut the end off. Someone I know didn't have a band saw to use so he used a reciprocating saw and clamped a guide top and bottom of the pedal to keep a straight cut. He achieved the same result.

I then cleaned up the cut end and polished it up a bit with a Dremel tool and then sprayed a clear sealant on it. The sealant I used was a craft spray that my daughter uses to protect her charcoal drawings. Its been working great to keep the exposed end from tarnishing.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That pedal looks a little SHORT -- I qouldn't want to miss it in a clutch situation.

Investor: Hal didn't address your question, but the idea of notching the bracket sounds pretty good to me -- I don't see what problem it would create, and it would allow you to shaif the pedal down where you want it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
First thing I looked to fix on mine was that butt ugly brake lever. I shifted in forward a couple of splines so it was out of the way but it always looked too wide. I actually had it off and clamped in a drop saw with a cut off wheel..but chickened out because it would really need re-chroming and I didn't want the bike off the road that long. I was hoping someone would come up with a nice subtle (rubber capped) brake lever like the Mean Streak that I could just slip on.
Hard to believe Suzuki would make such an ugly brake lever for a bike they did so well on most other design features!
Cograts on the courage to cut it down! :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Investor said:
Hal, I have a question or two. Do you know what he used to cut off (or did he grind down) the end of the pedal? Also, what did he do with the edge after cutting (it looks in the picture he touched up the edge with black paint)?Â

Final question since you seem to know these bikes much better than myself. Today when adjusting my brake pedal, I took note of the bracket the peg and brake mechanism is attached to, and frankly would have liked to push the pedal forward (down) even more, but as you know problem is that it hits the bracket if you push to forward. I was thinking about just cutting a "notch" into that bracket about a 1/4" or so wide and about 1/2" deep, so the brake pedal could still be fully depressed all the way down for braking without hitting that bracket. In your opinion do you think that would be a viable solution?
Too many posts and I missed your response.

He cut the pedal and then painted the end black.

As far as the notches that is something you would need to decide as I don't want to suggest that and then see a problem.

·
Registered
190 Posts
tomph1 said:
   That pedal looks a little SHORT -- I qouldn't want to miss it in a clutch situation.

Investor: Hal didn't address your question, but the idea of notching the bracket sounds pretty good to me -- I don't see what problem it would create, and it would allow you to shaif the pedal down where you want it.
Tomph1/Hal - thanks for the replies. I've actually decided NOT to notch. After moving the pedal forward a few notches, it's been fine, and much more comfortable.

·
Registered
664 Posts
ya know i just moved mine forward a bit... it wasn;t to hard...

1. disconnect brake switch (lil spring to the front.
2. take out the 2 peg bolts.
3. remove pedal return spring
4. remove the allen head holding the brake lever
5. move it up a few splines...
6. reassemble (don't forget the brake light switch spring like i did..lol)

Took about 15 min in total to do this...

i've hears a few people say they manged to get the brake pedal off with out removing the whole peg assembly, but my hands are far to big to even try it...

Mine works great now... return spring is a little tight but it'll work in with time...
hmmm hope i didn't forget any steps... been a month or so since i did it...

·
Registered
116 Posts
tomph1 said:
I've got 2500 miles on her since the brake mod and haven't had any problems, even in panic braking type scenarios.

The amount of pedal left after the mod is more than enough for confident braking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts