M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting repeated rear brake grabbing noise like a clunk followed by a squeeky whine :-[ ...doesn't do it all the time but this last time out it was a lot more than the usual once in a great while. The pads look great. Not sure what is going on back there. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I'm getting repeated rear brake grabbing noise like a clunk followed by a squeeky whine :-[ ...doesn't do it all the time but this last time out it was a lot more than the usual once in a great while. The pads look great. Not sure what is going on back there. Any thoughts?
Looks like you have an 07 right? 06 and 07 had problems with the rear rotors. You can crab it and wiggle it and it will wiggle back and forth from the loose rivets. If you have a warranty on the bike, Suzuki was replacing them with upgraded rotors. they changed them for 08 and after. i had mine done under warranty.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's interesting since I took it in and talked with the head mechanic. I even pointed out that the rotor was loose and asked if that was normal. sheesh :doh:

no warranty. Will other years fit? I'll have to search to classifieds. Tnx BP

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Mine is an 06, and the rear rotor is still rock solid. A friend with an 06 has one that is loose as a goose, yet he lives with it since Suzuki will not fix it due to being out of warranty. Its been loose for three years now and got quieter after about two months of riding. He says he is not loosing any sleep over it.

Hes like me and does not over use the rear brake.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty annoying when it happens a lot.:'( I don't over use the rear brake, I use it as one would normally use it. it's just annoying:confused: ...I'll upgrade when I can cuz the goose is loose for sure! :D

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
Looks like you have an 07 right? 06 and 07 had problems with the rear rotors. You can crab it and wiggle it and it will wiggle back and forth from the loose rivets. If you have a warranty on the bike, Suzuki was replacing them with upgraded rotors. they changed them for 08 and after. i had mine done under warranty.
:agree: and man you are right on the replies today. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
It's pretty annoying when it happens a lot.:'( I don't over use the rear brake, I use it as one would normally use it. it's just annoying:confused: ...I'll upgrade when I can cuz the goose is loose for sure! :D
Put up a wtb thread in the for sale section. There are many people that have Galfer rotors on their bike and might just have a stock one laying around. Very easy to switch out. :bigthumbsup:

:agree: and man you are right on the replies today. :eek: :eek:
I got a lot of sleep the last 2 days :a20:

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I brought it to the dealer and told them that they have a different part number ending in "50" instead of "30" because Suzuki knew there was an issue. They looked it up, confirmed the upgrade, and gave me a free rotor, no questions asked.

-Josh

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Would it be possible to take the rotor off and tighten up the rivets/coupler "thingies" with like a grommet tool for installing grommets on a trap or using some kinda of special punch pin against an anvil or something like that to tighten them up? Like flare them out?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Would it be possible to take the rotor off and tighten up the rivets/coupler "thingies" with like a grommet tool for installing grommets on a trap or using some kinda of special punch pin against an anvil or something like that to tighten them up? Like flare them out?
someone posted about taking ball bearings and pressing them against the rivets to flare them out and tighten things up.

-Josh

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
someone posted about taking ball bearings and pressing them against the rivets to flare them out and tighten things up.

-Josh
Sounds like it would work to me,,,,,,,,,

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,084 Posts
If mine were to loosen I'd try to fix it. As long as you catch it before it has a chance to wear the rivets, which would be noticeable by fore and aft movement, it should work.

EBC sells a nice rotor that is cheaper than Galfer's and about the same price as a stock rotor from the dealer.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll give the local Suz dealer a shot first. See if they will acknowledge there was/is an issue. tnx! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
260 Posts
yeah i have a 07 and mine squeaks as well. i removed it replace tire and when i put it back i got the squeak. when i apply light pressure it squeaks, but as i apply more pressure it goes away. dont bother me none as long as she stops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts