M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear brake seems to be working ok, except for noise. When I apply it I hear a clunk and sqeal. The pads, upon inspection look normal the rotor shows normal wear. I did observe the rear rotor wiggles a bit on its mounting as does the caliper. The fronts are mounted snuggly. Is the rear what is know as a floating rotor? Somebody run out and give their rear rotor and caliper a shake and let me know if it wiggles. Not sure if I have a dealer issue here or not. I read changing to a different pad may help. I have never seen a rotor and caliper that wiggles before perhaps I need to check the torques on the caliper pins. Dont know any info would at least give me piece of mind.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Had the same trouble on my 04 Marauder after about 500 mi ,very loud squeal
I slipped out the rear pads and applied a light coating of permatex ultra disc brake caliper lube to the "back side" of the pads where it contacts the caliper. I have used this stuff for years in the automotive field with great sucsess,
and have not heard a peep out of the brakes since, This is a quick and easy fix and remember just a light coating
will do, it works by absorbing the vibrations created as the pad trys to move up the rotors slight grooves created
during break in. its high temp silicone so it wiil not fling or turn liquid when it gets hot, and can be found at most auto parts stores.
http://www.permatex.com/products/au..._Permatex_Ultra_Disc_Brake_Caliper_Lube_1.htm
:bigthumbsup: Tek

G

·
jeffw said:
You mean these bikes have rear brakes???? :D :D :D :D
Exactly, I wish they would have linked these systems on this bike like the VTX.

All Bikes should have linked systems with one lever, my opinion of course. But I watched the wife lock the rear brake on her M50 today in a parking lot in some sand on ashphalt. It was a good lesson for her but could have been very bad.

If you cannot stop this bike with the front brake in normal conditions then you should not be riding it.

And this is not going to be a cop bike so the whole motorman theroy is shot.

TAZ

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
raw_taz said:
Exactly, I wish they would have linked these systems on this bike like the VTX.

All Bikes should have linked systems with one lever, my opinion of course. But I watched the wife lock the rear brake on her M50 today in a parking lot in some sand on ashphalt. It was a good lesson for her but could have been very bad.

If you cannot stop this bike with the front brake in normal conditions then you should not be riding it.

And this is not going to be a cop bike so the whole motorman theroy is shot.

TAZ
I think that a good linked system Front to rear can be beneficial, but I would still like to keep the rear brake control for some instances. Plus, if you are going to do a linked setup you should think about ABS in my opinion. The testing I have read about these systems showed that in the dry a PRO can come very close to their best ABS times without it. BUT in the wet even they did not use all of the grip available to the wheels/tires and the ABS showed how valuable it is.
I a, still very impressed with the front brake on the 109. I have to realy stomp on the rear to get any reaction.

Sledzep

1 - 7 of 7 Posts