M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've started to take the rear rim off the bike to swap it for the 240 and I've already hit a roadblock!

I rear thru the forum on how to remove, and it's pretty straight forward, as well as the service manual, but my problem is the axle won't come off! It turns with the socket on the hex, but it won't pull out. Any tricks I can do? I read the that basically to just put the socket on the axle and work it out but no joy for me:-[

I was really hoping to avoid taking the exhaust off and tapping it out from that side.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
pull the cotter key out take the nut off on the exhaust side and then you might have to take a rubber hamer or a dead blow hamer to get the axle to start and then just twist and put and it should come, make sure the tire is touching the ground just enough so that it doesn`t twist as the axle is comeing out

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but there's no room on the exhaust side to get a hammer in there. The nut is already off. I feel kinda stupid......:joke:

·
Registered
260 Posts
axle

i had same problem cobra drags r in the way. i think i placed a screw driver at the end of the axle and hit it with a ruber hammer a few times to get it started and then pulled it right out. there r no threads on the rear axle so no need to turn it. oh and watch out for spacer.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
i had same problem cobra drags r in the way. i think i placed a screw driver at the end of the axle and hit it with a ruber hammer a few times to get it started and then pulled it right out. there r no threads on the rear axle so no need to turn it. oh and watch out for spacer.
That is how you do it!! I used a a piece of round bar, from a useless political sign that was in my front yard. I cut it down, and slid it through. Worked like a charm!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
did you try jacking up the back end.... and use a car jack to lift the back tire to slightly take the weight weight off the axle? As you are slowly lifting the back tire continue to spin the axel and it should slide right out...I never had to tap it...works for me...I have an 08 and does not have the cotter pin, good luck!

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
That is how you do it!! I used a a piece of round bar, from a useless political sign that was in my front yard. I cut it down, and slid it through. Worked like a charm!:bigthumbsup:
You had an Obama sign in your front yard, Hink? :joke:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
This problem occurs all the time. Yes, you will have to get something that will not damage the threads and beat it out. The reason you are having this problem is because of suzuki's lack of grease on the axle. When you get it out, you will see what I am talking about. It normally is mostly on the nut side, but there will be rust/corrosion on that end and along the axle. Pain in the well, you can say it a few times yourself. Do not be affraid to spray the nut side down with some sort of rust eater/lubricant. Get it in the axle area as much as possible. You will just have to keep turning and beating. It will come out eventually. When it does, clean the axle and other effected/infected parts with wire brush or equal, and then grease the axle a bit(thin layer) before reinstalling. Good luck!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I've just spent the last hour trying and still no luck. The problem is that on the exhaust side where the nut was, there is no room at all to tap it out to the drive side. The exhaust is in the way to be able to do so. I put the hex driver on the drive side and tried pulling on it with the weight off the tire and also did as suggested and put a jack under the wheel at different pressures and still nothing.

It's looking like my only options that are left is to pull the exhaust which I really, really, really did not want to do. I'm guessing the 109 (I have a 90 BTW) has more room on the exhaust side, or the axle is somewhat accesible with the exhaust in place......

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Hink! If thats the case, hows that hope and change chit WORKING OUT FOR YOU:eek:

Could'nt help it Hink, IT'S Burnins109 fault:joke: He's all-ways starting stuff. And i'm just egging it on!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success!! Thanks for the help guys.

I pulled the upper exhaust pipe off which gave me enough angle to get at the axle and tap it out:bigthumbsup:. It wasn't so bad, the upper pipe came off without having to take off the entire exhaust system which I didn't know.

Of course, like you guys said, NO GREASE ON THE SHAFT from the factory! Now I have to take off the disk and the the spline from the rim and transfer them to the new bad boy. Any tips for this process? I need to re-use my oil seals from my original rim. Is this easy to take off and can it be re-used?

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Success!! Thanks for the help guys.

I pulled the upper exhaust pipe off which gave me enough angle to get at the axle and tap it out:bigthumbsup:. It wasn't so bad, the upper pipe came off without having to take off the entire exhaust system which I didn't know.

Of course, like you guys said, NO GREASE ON THE SHAFT from the factory! Now I have to take off the disk and the the spline from the rim and transfer them to the new bad boy. Any tips for this process? I need to re-use my oil seals from my original rim. Is this easy to take off and can it be re-used?
Yes you can reuse the seals, as they do not need to be pulled. Clean the shaft and wipe it with some good grease, so it will not give you the same problem next time you need a tire.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
NO!!!!!

Hink! If thats the case, hows that hope and change chit WORKING OUT FOR YOU:eek:

Could'nt help it Hink, IT'S Burnins109 fault:joke: He's all-ways starting stuff. And i'm just egging it on!
The only hope and change thing that will work for me, is I hope it changes, next election!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts