M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've started to take the rear rim off the bike to swap it for the 240 and I've already hit a roadblock!

I rear thru the forum on how to remove, and it's pretty straight forward, as well as the service manual, but my problem is the axle won't come off! It turns with the socket on the hex, but it won't pull out. Any tricks I can do? I read the 109 guys and they basically say to just put the socket on the axle and work it out but no joy for me:-[

I was really hoping to avoid taking the exhaust off and tapping it out from that side.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you have bike jacked up, you will need to take the weight of the wheel off the axle. You also may need to take a rubber mallet with something long and push the axle out some.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure how much different the 90 is to the 109, but it looks the same. I have no room on the exhaust side to do anything.......

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm not sure how much different the 90 is to the 109, but it looks the same. I have no room on the exhaust side to do anything.......
you should be able to put a screw driver or something between the pipes and the axle and pry it abit if its that hard

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hope you have it out by now , do you mean the axle turns ? if so you can get a bolt that the head fits into the hex end of the axle then put two nuts on it so you can hold the axle from spinning when you undo the other side Thats if thats your problem ??

·
Registered
743 Posts
have you taken the brake caliper off the bracket

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the bracket off, but left the caliper on. I managed to get the shaft out by pulling the upper exhaust pipe off which gave me a little better access to the shaft to tap it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yea, i just played with the weight on the rear tire by raising and lowering the bike on the jack and when it's in the sweet spot it pulls right out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts