M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never removed the tank before. Does it need to be completely empty of gas to prevent spillage or is there a shutoff valve under there somewhere?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Not a bad question!
The only issue you will have is throwing your back out with the weight. I drive it down a bit before removing. There will be a little dribble that a paper towel can handle.
It has its own shut off inside. Pretty cool I think

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
When you first lift the back of the tank, Get something to prop it up. I use a 5" 2x2 to hold the tank up. There is a brown connector under there, Disconnect it, then the fuel line,

There will be 2 blue tabs that you press together, These stay with the tank. You squeeze them and push in on the fuel line a little then pull it back. Very little fuel will escape, no big. Just need to wiggle it around but it will come off

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Also do not forget to disconnect the speedo. You do not need to remove the speedo assembly. This is what you need to do.

1. Remove the side covers (as they slide into a tab on the tank)
2. Remove the your drivers seat
3. Remove the 12mm(I think) bolt at the back of the tank.
4. Slide it back and prop it on a couple of two by 4's so you have room to work disconnecting the two conections.
5. Unplug the speedo (it is exposed once you slide the tank back)
6. Unplug the brown connector (99% sure it is the fuel pump power)
7. Get a rag and place it under the tank and disconnect the fuel line. You will lose maybe an once of fuel at the most.
8. Then remove the tank.

To reinstall reverse but make sure that the two rubber bushings are still on there tabs or you will have a lot of play once the tank is back on. It is heavier with a full tank, but it is not a big deal at all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Another stupid question; but related. I can't see the coolant level very well with the side cowlings installed. Is there any way to check coolant, or add coolant if required, without removing gas tank and side cowlings?

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
Another stupid question; but related. I can't see the coolant level very well with the side cowlings installed. Is there any way to check coolant, or add coolant if required, without removing gas tank and side cowlings?
People have done different methods. The most common would be to take a squeeze water bottle and push it up the dump tube. But you would want to clean/flush it out a little before you just squirt it up in there. So your new antifreeze does not get contaminated from the debris in the tube. You should change your antifreeze every two years, so are you due for a change? When I did mine, I pulled the bottle off and cleaned it really well also.

·
Registered
120 Posts
People have done different methods. The most common would be to take a squeeze water bottle and push it up the dump tube. But you would want to clean/flush it out a little before you just squirt it up in there. So your new antifreeze does not get contaminated from the debris in the tube. You should change your antifreeze every two years, so are you due for a change? When I did mine, I pulled the bottle off and cleaned it really well also.
Ryno,
thanks for the help. Guess my '08 is due for a fluid change.

·
Registered
264 Posts
CRAP! I knew there would be one more thing I needed to do this winter.:-\

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Did mine just last night to install my stebel horn. And I agree with what everyones saying here. Pretty easy to do. I recommend glueing the rubber bushings on after you remove it. Then you won't have to worry about them falling off next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
Freud, if you haven't seen already.....there is no such thing as a stupid question on here. This forum is awesome. You ask a question, you will get the answer, a drawing, a detailed "how-to", and sometimes a phone number just incase you need more detailed help. I am if it weren't for Bigpapa109 and the tips from some other guys on the forum I would have lost my mind. In fact when I was putting a 280 rear on a 10.5" rim on Blakester71's bike........I was just about to go inside and punch my cat in the face........but I made a phone call to Harris (Bigpapa109) and he told me first thing, release the cat's head so she can breath, and gave me some great advice to get the monster back together. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts