M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been living with pretty bad shake on my bike for a while. I replaced both tires with the Dunlop Elite 3 and put a 250 on the rear. After about 5000 miles on this set of tires the vibration has gotten to a dangerous level and I noticed some cupping on the rear tire. It's acceptable at 60-70 mph speeds but around 100 mph it's flat out dangerous. I found a W-rated Pirelli tire for the rear on sale for $212. Unfortunately they don't have a matching tire for the front. My other option is to go with a set of Avon Cobras. They have the matching set available but the front tire is only H-rated while the rear is V-rated. Should I go with the Pirelli and leave the Elite 3 on the front or should I change both tires and go with the Cobras?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Motor Mounts:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A weight was my first thought. I went back to the shop and had them rebalance both tires. Didn't help and the back tire is cupped pretty bad. I'm forced to replace it at around 4K miles. I'm really leaning towards the set of Cobras. If I still have a vibration, I'll have to find out the source in a hurry before I ruin a set of good tires. I've heard other people having problems with the E-3s. If you don't push your bike, you'd never know. I didn't buy this thing to baby it. I want a tire that's not going to kill me.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Talk with sfmichel

He has had 2 problems with the clutch hub that sounds a little like your issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been through the clutch hub issue...2 years ago. That's all fixed. I'm pretty certain this issue is tire related.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I've been through the clutch hub issue...2 years ago. That's all fixed. I'm pretty certain this issue is tire related.
I doubt it's a tire issue. This has all the signs of misalignment, missing spacer, bad balance, bent rim or all/some of the above. I'm 99.9% sure, this is NOT a tire issue. When you do get new tires, and if you plan on riding like you stole it, get dyna beads. A normal balance is only good to about 75 mph.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i run cobras and love them,they run smooth as glass. i had a problem with vibration on my first set of tire i put on. it ended up being the teeth not meshing properly between the wheel and hub. if you force the tire on it will vibrate. i rotate mine slowly until it finds it's sweet spot and falls into place. never had a vibration problem since.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had a similar problem immediatly after getting my Dunlop Elite 3 250. It turned out to be a bad tire. I took it back and had another installed. All is good now.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Chit!!! Relax Jay... Take a deep breath... it ill be ok. Seriously bro, That is the only tire I've run, never had one issue, even at 120 MPH plus! They are few and far between. Mostly when they are running Mez up front, and dunnies in the rear. You'll be ok.

·
Radio Active Member
22,664 Posts
There was a post just a couple weeks ago where someone had a swingarm that misaligned the rear tire. Most folks didn't think it was possible, but it's something to check.

Check the swingarm and steering head bearings for wear too.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Cupped tires

Once a tire gets cupped (a scalloping of the edges), it just gets progressively worse. There's nothing to do but replace it.
Running a tire low on air pressure usually starts it, then it's too late, it beats itself to death. Get a good air pressure guage and keep at least 40 psi in it at all times.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
There was a post just a couple weeks ago where someone had a swingarm that misaligned the rear tire. Most folks didn't think it was possible, but it's something to check.

Check the swingarm and steering head bearings for wear too.
Tiny71 had that happen when he remounted his wheel. Is your hub spaced out far from the wheel?:dontknow:

But...I'm still sticking with motor mounts for now.;):D
Just for Sh$ts and Giggles look to see if your engine has dropped below the frame of the bike. It rare but some have had it happen with only 5,000 or so miles and others have gotten 20-30,000 miles. It's a teeth chattering shake. Denali204 had it happen to him. (Course that's if it's a shake, If the bike isn't tracking properly or weaving then it's probably the tires.:dontknow:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I replaced my e3's and had a rear that was out of round and sent it back for a replacement and the replacement was out of round as well. Went with Metz 260 and problem solved.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Do a search on the E-3's! You'll find lots of discussion about the same "high speed wobble" that you describe!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I doubt it's a tire issue. This has all the signs of misalignment, missing spacer, bad balance, bent rim or all/some of the above. I'm 99.9% sure, this is NOT a tire issue. When you do get new tires, and if you plan on riding like you stole it, get dyna beads. A normal balance is only good to about 75 mph.
I agree. This doesn't sound like a tire issue at all. Something else is causing the tires to do this.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
when your bike is at idle is your mirror nice and still? it should be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts