M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, riding season is here (I hope!). I decided to paint the bike. Well, to be more specific plasti dip it. I used the navy blue (standard matte, without glossifier) and the Wimbledon white for the head light. Last season I dipped the bottom pieces in black. They are holding up relatively well.

While I was at it I also installed a voltmeter on top of the gas tank. I'm ready to eat some miles... when does spring start in New England?

Hope you like it,

I.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Vehicle White Speedometer Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Where did you get that voltmeter from? I’ve been looking around the internet for one that’s not too big and gaudy, and the one you have seems to be just perfect.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hey wow, McLuvin the matte blue look indeed!
Well done - looks perfectly smooth and the voltmeter is cleanly mounted.
Very nice.
:bigthumbsup:

The "lower" black parts you mentioned, I see your derby and bits are black - you mean THOSE parts? I tried dipping my derby (there's a joke in there somewhere...) and it lasted about an hour before I noticed the engine heat had sufficiently softened the Dip such that my boot easily ripped entire sections of it off. "oosp." I ended up cleaning it back to scratch and just having it powdercoated. (Why o Why the fug they didn't just do that on the BOSS machines to begin with, I have no idea...)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you get that voltmeter from? I've been looking around the internet for one that's not too big and gaudy, and the one you have seems to be just perfect.
I got it from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HO50AJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You are right, most of the voltmeters are too deep and this is the smallest one I found. I would have liked to get one of those that has also USB chargers but again, they were too tall.

If you look at the terminal connectors (I think they are call splice), once you plug it to the back it may be to tall. What I did was to solder the cables directly (and heat shrink it). They may be fine, I just never done any soldering and I wanted to give it a try ;)

The "lower" black parts you mentioned, I see your derby and bits are black - you mean THOSE parts? I tried dipping my derby (there's a joke in there somewhere...) and it lasted about an hour before I noticed the engine heat had sufficiently softened the Dip such that my boot easily ripped entire sections of it off. "oosp." I ended up cleaning it back to scratch and just having it powdercoated. (Why o Why the fug they didn't just do that on the BOSS machines to begin with, I have no idea...)
You may be right. I think it will get too hot and keep peeling... honestly, if this is the only part that peels off I'll be happy! It looks awesome, now let's see how durable it is.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I got it from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HO50AJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You are right, most of the voltmeters are too deep and this is the smallest one I found. I would have liked to get one of those that has also USB chargers but again, they were too tall.

If you look at the terminal connectors (I think they are call splice), once you plug it to the back it may be to tall. What I did was to solder the cables directly (and heat shrink it). They may be fine, I just never done any soldering and I wanted to give it a try.
Thanks Ivan. I just placed an order for two of them, and I'll have them in two days. It's exactly what I needed. I'm going to order a separate small USB Charging Unit (for my cell phone & wireless earbuds), and mount it near my battery box.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Good job with the plastic dip. I have been experimenting with that lately, but only on my wind screen on the inside. I was worried about how well it would hold up to the elements in a real world application. Keep us updated on how it does against the bugs, rocks, etc. I also would like to know how easy it is to keep clean. Here is a shot of some plastic dip that I have done to my shields. I would like to do the silver pieces on my spyder in black. Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good job with the plastic dip. I have been experimenting with that lately, but only on my wind screen on the inside. I was worried about how well it would hold up to the elements in a real world application. Keep us updated on how it does against the bugs, rocks, etc. I also would like to know how easy it is to keep clean. Here is a shot of some plastic dip that I have done to my shields. I would like to do the silver pieces on my spyder in black.
Yes, I thought about dipping the windshield after seeing your post the other day. I haven't decided yet. It is a very good idea to only paint the back of it so you can clean it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is my wife's bike. Not a m109 but it sure looks awesome. She is pretty much taking out everything of this Honda shadow. She went with the black matt for the bottom parts and copper for the gas tank.

I.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
772 Posts
Where did you get that voltmeter from? I've been looking around the internet for one that's not too big and gaudy, and the one you have seems to be just perfect.
Nice catch....didn't even notice that...wonder if they make it in dual readout voltage and temp? Now that would be super cool!

BTW nice job on the plastic dip application looks great.

Marty

·
Registered
772 Posts
Finally, riding season is here (I hope!). I decided to paint the bike. Well, to be more specific plasti dip it. I used the navy blue (standard matte, without glossifier) and the Wimbledon white for the head light. Last season I dipped the bottom pieces in black. They are holding up relatively well.

While I was at it I also installed a voltmeter on top of the gas tank. I'm ready to eat some miles... when does spring start in New England?

Hope you like it,

I.

View attachment 370322

View attachment 370330

View attachment 370338

View attachment 370346
Ivan, who makes your seat? Thanks!

Marty

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ivan, who makes your seat? Thanks!

Marty
Hi,

Ultimate seats https://ultimateseats.ca/suzuki-motorcycle-accessories/boulevard-m109r-seats .
It is a great seat. It was not cheap ($620 for the seat/backrest combo + 100 for the ostrich type leather) but I think at the end I saved money (or at least is what I tell myself! ;)). Before I bought it, I had trouble with my upper back and shoulder after long rides (I'm 6'2). I started looking at changing handlebars (I already have the 2 inch risers), with cable extensions, etc... I decided to change the seat first, and I haven't had any troubles with my upper back ever since. To me, totally worth the money.
Now, make sure that you specify the right color when order it (they will send you a bunch of samples so you can see them 'in person'). I made the mistake when ordering and wrote dark ostrich and they don't change it back (which I understand, as it is customized). Now my saddlebags and seat don't mach... oh well.

Good luck,

Ivan

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hi,

Ultimate seats https://ultimateseats.ca/suzuki-motorcycle-accessories/boulevard-m109r-seats .
It is a great seat. It was not cheap ($620 for the seat/backrest combo + 100 for the ostrich type leather) but I think at the end I saved money (or at least is what I tell myself! ;)). Before I bought it, I had trouble with my upper back and shoulder after long rides (I'm 6'2). I started looking at changing handlebars (I already have the 2 inch risers), with cable extensions, etc... I decided to change the seat first, and I haven't had any troubles with my upper back ever since. To me, totally worth the money.
Now, make sure that you specify the right color when order it (they will send you a bunch of samples so you can see them 'in person'). I made the mistake when ordering and wrote dark ostrich and they don't change it back (which I understand, as it is customized). Now my saddlebags and seat don't mach... oh well.

Good luck,

Ivan
I thought so, (Ultimate) been trying to make up my mind which to get the Corbin or the Ultimate. I think the more upright part on the Ultimate will make it more comfortable than the Corbin. I have a Corbin on the Honda Magna I just bought, and it is very similar to your 9 Ultimate, and it is WAY comfortable. The price is about the same.

Thanks for the great info, and heads up on the colors!

Marty

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I've had the Ultimate and Corbin in my favourites for over a year and been looking at them daily LOL

That's the first picture I've been able to find of an Ultimate with with something I would like

To late anyway as I went with a Corbin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.