M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
There are some things I would buy that are reusable but an oil filter is not one of them. Ten to twenty bucks for a new oil filter is well worth its weight in gold.

If you going to consider a reusable oil filter, are you going to reuse your same oil also?

New filter every change + new oil every change = long lasting engine

·
Registered
547 Posts
That to me would be like a re-usable condom. It just isn't right. Buy a new one each time, they are not that expensive.:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
Just so you know, condoms used to be reused. They were made from animal gut and washed out each time. I just heard that.....................
Yeah, we used to hot patch them when they got a hole in them. :D

Check the micron rating on those metal mesh reusable filters and compare it to a regular paper filter. I think they are something like 75 or 100 micron, and an Amsoil filter is rated at 15 micron. Even a poorly rated regular filter is probably 4 times more effective at removing grit than the mesh filters are.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oil is life

I was browsing ebay for any cool 109 stuff, and I came across this re-useable oil filter. Anyone ever use one of these? With filters being $15/ea it would not take long to pay for itself.

Any comments/feedback?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PC-R...9694039QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
The life of your engine depends on what you do to it, I don't care if an oil filter replacement was 25 bucks when you compare that to replacement cost of an engine then that new unused oil filter looks pretty good at any price. Stick with new you never be sorry for what you purchased

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey guys, what do you think they use on aircraft engines and fuel systems...If the quality is good, most likely will filter far better, though you will need the equipment to clean them properly..ie an ultrasonic cleaner would be the go...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey guys, what do you think they use on aircraft engines and fuel systems...If the quality is good, most likely will filter far better, though you will need the equipment to clean them properly..ie an ultrasonic cleaner would be the go...
Do you really think a reusable filter for this bike would be built using an aircraft spec? I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I do know someone using that filter and have been no problems..they are located in Ohio and I have heard good results...don't have one yet but i do on my tractor

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I love mind. Now i did buy it used but I paid about 75 for it if that. But when K&Ns are $15 a piece or maybe less if you buy in bulk, this one is still paid off ;)

Just something to think about when looking for a filter

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Guys I have the K&P also. They use these on high performance engines all over the world. I have used this on my 9 since it was new. What a lot of you don't know is its a two part filtration system that includes a powerful rare earth magnet that picks up any magnetic particle that passes over it. Its high flow which frees up a small amount of horsepower. Don't knock it till you research it. I have one waiting for my F6B.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Not sure what yoru trying to save pennies on dollar. filters are like 8-10 bucks and use and throw i mean most here change every few thousand miles so is it worth the hassel one thing which i dont like to mess is lubrication system oil filters.

hell that is your main lifeline of engines.

Fancy smancy filters are great but realistically they work out to the same price.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I change my oil 2x a year on my bike. If filters are KN-138 filters are $10 on ebay, (6) for $75 or $15 in the store locally, it doesnt take long to add it and if I wanted to, I could take mine off and sell it getting most of my money back out of it.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
why not take it to an auto parts store and give it to them
None here take it, the nearest place is 40 miles away and I wait until I have enough recycle stuff to make it worthwhile. The oil goes to the local coop when I get a full barrel. There are only a couple places that have oil fired heaters here since it isn't that efficient.

We used to have to pay to get rid of it, that is why farmers put it in sprayers and drive down the road spraying it out. It's their late night disposal method, sucks when they just did it and you're on the bike. Not been a single one get caught, but they love the farmers here because they feed the world ethanol corn.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I change my oil almost once a month during the riding season, I am going to think about this. It's hard to get rid of all of my used oil filters, in fact, right now I have about 30 of them out in the barn along with 45 gallons of used oil.
Why so often ?? ... sounds like you need to use better oil and not change the oil so often. Try using a 100% synth oil like Rotella.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts