M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Sissy Bar

I am very interested in the Sissy Bar modification that Aussie109 did to his passenger seat. Here is a link to the thread: http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=415.0 . I was wondering if anyone else might be interested in this Mod. The shipping to Australia is expensive but I thought if there were 2 or 3 or 4 people who might also be interested we could send them all in one shipment and share the shipping costs.

Let me know if there is anyone that is interested.

Grant

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Very interesting. Could you maybe take a few more larger pictures so we could see the bike from different angles? I am interested in seeing you bike with the bags on it too.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I love the Aussie mod. I would need to know 1) the final total cost, and 2) how long I'm gonna be without the seat...

·
Registered
411 Posts
gradona said:
I am very interested in the Sissy Bar modification that Aussie109 did to his passenger seat. Here is a link to the thread: http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=415.0 . I was wondering if anyone else might be interested in this Mod. The shipping to Australia is expensive but I thought if there were 2 or 3 or 4 people who might also be interested we could send them all in one shipment and share the shipping costs.

Grant
Why don´t we live just a little closer. I too am very impressed with the modification that Aussie 109 has :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wanted said:
I love the Aussie mod. I would need to know 1) the final total cost, and 2) how long I'm gonna be without the seat...
The final cost would depend upon how many share in the shipping. I checked with Fed-X and was told that a 2' X 2' x 2' package weighing 20 lbs. would cost about $120 one way + duties and taxes :eek:.

·
Registered
817 Posts
gradona said:
The final cost would depend upon how many share in the shipping. I checked with Fed-X and was told that a 2' X 2' x 2' package weighing 20 lbs. would cost about $120 one way + duties and taxes :eek:.
That's good information, but it tells us nothing about the actual cost of the mod. That's kinda what I was wondering about.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wanted said:
That's good information, but it tells us nothing about the actual cost of the mod. That's kinda what I was wondering about.
OK guys I contacted the manufacturer re prices.
Below is his responce
Cheers
G'day Chris, I've had 4 or5 inquirys from the USA allready.So it would be
good if you could post some prices on the Suzuki web site.The cost to do the
job will be $275 AUD which is about $215 USD, but the freight is the killer
its around $140 round trip, thats USD. from 3 up to 5kg to the states is
$104AUD so if you can weigh your seat I think it would be in that range.It
would or should be under 3kg before the sissy bar

Hope this helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got it :p. We buy a round trip ticket for the guy, he packs everything he needs to make the backrests in as many suitcases as he can take on board, one of us puts him up for the week or so it takes him to make them, then drive him to the airport for a decent send-off back home :bigthumbsup:. Even if we have to throw in a hooker and a couple bottles of whiskey it'll still be cheaper than all of that shipping :eek:.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey, I love the Aussie sissy bar. I think the price with shipping is just a little to steep. I'm thinking maybe Lamont or Hal can find someone out there who can duplicate it based on the pictures. As for the other sissy bar, I would say everything on a bike is personal taste that is what makes it your own but that sissy bar ruins the lines of the bike and the fact that it only cost 66 bucks means nothing if it looks cheap. (you get what u pay for)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lostrider said:
Hey, I love the Aussie sissy bar. I think the price with shipping is just a little to steep. I'm thinking maybe Lamont or Hal can find someone out there who can duplicate it based on the pictures.
Hopefully MetCruze did something to prevent copying of their design. I'd hate to think that someone could simply "duplicate" someone else's idea and profit from it with with no regard for the designer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gradona said:
Hopefully MetCruze did something to prevent copying of their design. I'd hate to think that someone could simply "duplicate" someone else's idea and profit from it with with no regard for the designer.
One of the problems in the motorcycle industry is that nothing is really original or patentable. Everything has been done before in many different ways.

I have had someone accuse me of copying a part when it was something that has been made by many companies for upwards of 50 years. I have also had a large company copy something we made but we have a Patent Pending in place and it should be interesting how it turns out.

Usually the cost of a Patent is too much to expense against a small production run. Copyrights do not apply in this kind of design. If a manufacturer really wants to protect what he has built he needs to file for a Patent and then hope that the Patent office finds that is a new and unique way to do something. Just building something doesn't entitle a designer to a patent.

And you will discover that some of the big parts companies in the motorcycle field just copy what has already gone before. No patents to protect anyone so off they go.

·
Registered
164 Posts
gradona said:

Yes, I might be interested. I'm waiting to see what Suzuki will come out with maybe in July or so...
Grant

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Well put Hal. I addressed this issue on my post but will sum it up again. There are probably hundreds of different sissy bars on the market, just because you have something that maybe simlar in design doesn't mean you are ripping someone else off.If that were the case the big names out there would have some problems.Look at our 109R clearly there are design cues which can be seen on other bike currently on the market.(Harley'sVROD) there are people on this board that will say no way but they should wake up! That is the way business is done find something that works and expand and maybe even improve on it, much like Suzuki did with the 109R. By the way Hal and Lamont as I stated on my post Thanks for all of your hard work. If it sounds like I'm *****in I'm not, I just think that there are some real cry babies on this board who need to stop overthinking everything....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lostrider said:
Well put Hal. I addressed this issue on my post but will sum it up again. There are probably hundreds of different sissy bars on the market, just because you have something that maybe simlar in design doesn't mean you are ripping someone else off.If that were the case the big names out there would have some problems.Look at our 109R clearly there are design cues which can be seen on other bike currently on the market.(Harley'sVROD) there are people on this board that will say no way but they should wake up! That is the way business is done find something that works and expand and maybe even improve on it, much like Suzuki did with the 109R. By the way Hal and Lamont as I stated on my post Thanks for all of your hard work. If it sounds like I'm *****in I'm not, I just think that there are some real cry babies on this board who need to stop overthinking everything....
Sounds like you doing the crying. I'm just stating an opinion :confused:.

Grant

P.S. A lot of Kissin goin on too :joke:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Heres one I made, I'm trying to decide if I want to make them are not if I do I would make them then you would have to take your seat to an upholstery shop and have it installed. its aluminum and it been polished. i own a costom auto Upholstery shop and were really busy right now cause its street rod season and we do award winning interiors on show cars. so its just finding the time. this pic is the first one the second one imade I shortened it about 2" lower. I live in Oregon (USA)
I

1 - 20 of 23 Posts