M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: PM's alerts

Umm, while I have never been so dense as to do what you are describing I do have a question regarding accessing PM's. I'm guessing that the problems I'm having are caused by me using Firefox and not Internet Explorer. When I get a PM and come to the forum I get the popup window telling me I have a PM and would I like to view it? I click on yes and it just takes me back to the forum, not to the PM area.

I also don't see any way to manually navigate to the PM area in the menu's above. I've been through all the screens many times. I ended up just bookmarking the PM page and whenever I get a PM the only way to get to it is to either click the link in the email which opens a NEW browser window that takes me to the PM area of the forum, or go to my bookmarks and get into it that way. What am I doing wrong? :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts

blkchry, mine does the same. Using Safari on Mac. You just need to click on the "messages" that is at the very top of the screen
Hey, BlkM109r, you have 51 messages, 0 are new.
Total time logged in: 7 days, 6 hours and 7 minutes.
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Looks like this and should have your Avatar next to it.
Click on the word messages and it will take you to that page so you can read/delete etc.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

BlkM109r said:
blkchry, mine does the same. Using Safari on Mac. You just need to click on the "messages" that is at the very top of the screen
Hey, BlkM109r, you have 51 messages, 0 are new.
Total time logged in: 7 days, 6 hours and 7 minutes.
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Looks like this and should have your Avatar next to it.
Click on the word messages and it will take you to that page so you can read/delete etc.
I don't see any of the text you see. Maybe that's another glitch from using Firefox? Or is it a setting in my preferences or something? :dontknow:
Is it at the top of all pages? I clicked on "M109Riders" and on "Message Boards" above but it's not at the top of either of those screens either. :confused:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm a computer geek so I can usually figure this stuff out. I'm not seeing what everyone else sees apparently. Anyone else using Firefox that can confirm the same thing happens to them? I guess I can fire up IE6 and see if it goes away, but I'm just curious what's going on. :confused:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I just fired up IE6 and it looks the same at the top of this screen. So I went into my profile and then clicked on "Look and Layout" and my settings are as shown below:

I don't see any setting where this text can be turned on or off, do you? :confused:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

BlackCherry said:

I'm a computer geek so I can usually figure this stuff out. I'm not seeing what everyone else sees apparently. Anyone else using Firefox that can confirm the same thing happens to them? I guess I can fire up IE6 and see if it goes away, but I'm just curious what's going on. :confused:
See that downward pointing arrow next to the "HOME" tab ?? ............... Press it and the rest of the menu will appear :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

D'ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
:edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit:

Thanks!! :redfaced:

I still don't see a link to my Personal Messages area since there is no link for that in this newly revealed section. I guess there will only be a link to the PM section if I have a new unread one, and I can therefore only get there if there is a new message waiting for me? (unless I use my bookmark or click the link in the email) What if I want to reread old PM's? We're getting there, but it's still not very intuitive. ::)

Never mind. It says "you have 17 messages". I thought that meant new unread messages to me on the forum, not personal messages. I'm used to the way the Delphi forums work. :realmad: :realmad:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

BlackCherry said:
D'ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
:edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit: :edit:

Thanks!! :redfaced:

I still don't see a link to my Personal Messages area since there is no link for that in this newly revealed section. I guess there will only be a link to the PM section if I have a new unread one, and I can therefore only get there if there is a new message waiting for me? (unless I use my bookmark or click the link in the email) What if I want to reread old PM's? We're getting there, but it's still not very intuitive. ::)

Never mind. It says "you have 17 messages". I thought that meant new unread messages to me on the forum, not personal messages. I'm used to the way the Delphi forums work. :realmad: :realmad:
Look up there where it says "Hey, BlackCherry, you have XX messages, X are new." ..................... click on the yellow "XX messages" and it will take you to your PM area :bigthumbsup: if the link has been clicked on already is will be an aqua color instead of yellow ;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Bonehead said:
Look up there where it says "Hey, BlackCherry, you have XX messages, X are new." ..................... click on the yellow "XX messages" and it will take you to your PM area :bigthumbsup: if the link has been clicked on already is will be an aqua color instead of yellow ;)
Oh man, I think I better just shut up now. :redfaced: Thanks for the virtual slap on the back of my head. :a20:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

endorphine44 said:
:eek: :D
BlackCherry I just sent you a PM to practice with.... :bigthumbsup:

It's always the simple things isn't it!
Yeah, some IT guy I turned out to be, huh? ::)
:a20:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

BlackCherry said:
Oh man, I think I better just shut up now. :redfaced: Thanks for the virtual slap on the back of my head. :a20:
:a20: ............ no problem :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
291 Posts

I am using Firefox and complained to Lamonte about this back in June I think. I think he replied that it worked fine for him. Anyway, I quickly found a work-around for it so I didn't bother him any further and just learned to live with it figuring it was only me that was having the problem.

FYI: I just checked my preferences and they are set to show at PMs at top of page, yet I see nothing there, in Firefox or IE. I have seen it work previously, back in May but perhaps it stopped working when I upgraded to a specific version of FireFox or perhaps it was a setting I changed that I am unaware of. I am also using Zone Alarm Pro and it has been upgraded several times in the last few months so not sure if one of it's security updates might have caused the problem as well.

Here is a work around you might want to try, just create a bookmark in your browser to this link:
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;f=inbox

Then, after you get that pop-up saying you have a new PM, just click on your bookmark with above URL and you will go to your PM inbox.

-Tim

·
Registered
291 Posts

I didn't understand what you all were talking about but I just figured it out. That works great...thanks!! I actually am now clicking on the Down Arrow to the left of the Home Tab and it shows the extra header stuff including PMs. I always wondered what that down arrow was for, now I know :)

-Tim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts