M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed 6 feet of red Radiantz LEDs on my stock rims and underneath the gas tank. They really shine nice in the night time, and my father had the put on his HD. This is a video of us riding eachother's bike after returning from Amerciade. Comments please:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've gots to say that Looks Really really Cool... Love the Night Rider light as well....

·
Registered
259 Posts
i like that!!! do you have a link to the ledz you used and maybe some step by step pics

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't buy the custom made rims, I just bought the power puck that provides the power to the wheel and laid out the LED's on the wheel itself, which is the best part cause you're only limited by your imagination and design.

i like that!!! do you have a link to the ledz you used and maybe some step by step pics
4 grand for rims? what leds did you buy. I'm really curious as to how they are powered on the rim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I'm crazy I still dont understand how you got power to the wheels:dontknow:
The heart of the system and what makes it all possible is what we call the "Power-Puc". In the simplest terms, it is a rotary, electrical connection. This means you can take electrical power from a stationary object (the bike) and transfer it to a rotating object (Your wheel).

The systems' technology is quite simple, robust and is used in virtually every electric motor. Getting it applied to motorcycle wheels in an economical and bulletproof fashion was the hard part. But that's another story.

There are basically 3 important components to the system. A description of each follows, and references the photo below.

1) Brush Housing: Holds the 2 composite contacts attached to wires and will transfer power from the bikes electrical system to the slip ring (Item #3). The Brush Housing will remain stationary and is a tight fit over the wheel spacer (Item #2). It's 2 wire leads will be connected to a power source on the bike.

2) Wheel Spacer: This will replace your stock spacer on the side of the wheel the Puc is installed. It is compressed between the inner race of the wheel bearing and the forks or swing arm. It keeps the Brush Housing stationary. What is also VERY important about the Wheel Spacer is it's length. It is specifically made to leave a .030 - .060 gap between the faces of the Brush Housing and Slip Ring when it is assembled on the bike. This tolerance is critical as it keeps components of the Puc separated during operation. Without this proper spacing, the components of the Puc will be damaged.

Slip Ring: Is mounted to the wheel hub and rotates with the wheel. Power is conducted through the stationary contactors of the Brush Housing to the two gold colored rings. Each of these rings is connected to a wire. The 2 wire leads will be connected to the LED's on your wheel

·
Registered
723 Posts
Can u post a pic of them in day light. Like to see how obvious they are when they are not in use and seen during the day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can u post a pic of them in day light. Like to see how obvious they are when they are not in use and seen during the day.
You looking for one with them on or off during the day?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't find the power puck on the web sites. Did you call them and order the puck special?
I went back to the site as well and couldn't find where they were. I know last time I spoke to Justin he said they keep adding new bikes they've made it for so it's possible that it's going through an update. But i'm sure they still have it available. Just give them a call.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I love my set too. Just got a set of the new pucs from Bill that has an extra set of brushes in each puck to add some redundancy and uses a wave washer for contant pressure on the brushes. Not sure when I will get a chance to put them on though.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Just courious what does somthing like this cost to do on your own wheels not there's...

·
Registered
128 Posts
lighted rims

Hey did anyone find the power puc and or the cost ??? I'm having a blonde moment and was unable to find them at the website ???? :dontknow:

crossq

1 - 20 of 33 Posts