M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
33.5ml is less than a shot of liquor... EEK...
Thank you for all the replies in trying to help me discover what is the problem with my bike. Had a mechanic listen to the bike and inspect it. Also he told me that if you are going to go on forums and ask people to help you tell them everything about the bike. The bike has 30,000 miles on it, I’m the third owner and the correct level of the oil that was drain from the oil change last week was 3300 ml (100 ml short) probably to prevent plunking out the left air filter that I had previously. He determined that since the bike has never had any valve adjustments that could be the problem. So tomorrow morning the bike will be towed to repair shop. I will keep you all updated on the results.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,637 Posts
That sounded like an awful heavy tapping for a valve. Plus they tend to tighten as they get more miles on them, not looser. At least that has been the experience of the few on here that have adjusted them. Mine is just short of 40,000 miles and they've never been touched. I really hope it is something that simple, but at least they can have a good look at it while they are in there.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hi.
That noise is exactly what I started to hear last June on my 2007 '9, with 100K km on it.
Shortly after the mechanic found less than 1 L of engine oil when it was recovered from the pan.
In a few weeks the mechanics will start to make an engine autopsy to determine the noise root cause... I' m pessimistic...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Okay I said I would give you all a update from the shop. Well, the only thing they determine was the sound is coming from the upper head ( possibly valve) the problem is no shop want to pull the engine to see what’s the real issue. I have been to all the shops in the New Orleans area. No one wants to deal with an internal engine issue that be a shim or tappet problem. Everyone is amazed how the bike is running so good for that tapping sound, but no one wants to pull the engine.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
4,098 Posts
Okay I said I would give you all a update from the shop. Well, the only thing they determine was the sound is coming from the upper head ( possibly valve) the problem is no shop want to pull the engine to see what’s the real issue. I have been to all the shops in the New Orleans area. No one wants to deal with an internal engine issue that be a shim or tappet problem. Everyone is amazed how the bike is running so good for that tapping sound, but no one wants to pull the engine.
Not even Suzuki dealers shop?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That who I am talking about the owner tells me it’s a three month wait plus they getting inventory for the holidays basically saying in a polite way I don’t want to deal with it. Crazy part about it all and how good GOD is I just ordered a complete top rear cylinder head with everything I need ( valves, cams, shim, tappet, head) Just pull off the bad head put on the new head. I’m thinking about pulling out the motor myself if I can’t find a mechanic to do it.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,637 Posts
It's unbelievable that a dealer wouldn't want to do that. Guess they don't need the money? It's a job you can do yourself if you have the skills, tools, and the service manual. Or there are a couple guys on here that can do it for you, but none that are very close to New Orleans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah that’s what I say definitely don’t want the money because I’m willing to pay but even telling them that it’s another excuse not to do the job. We have two authorized dealer here and neither wants to touch it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
That who I am talking about the owner tells me it’s a three month wait plus they getting inventory for the holidays basically saying in a polite way I don’t want to deal with it. Crazy part about it all and how good GOD is I just ordered a complete top rear cylinder head with everything I need ( valves, cams, shim, tappet, head) Just pull off the bad head put on the new head. I’m thinking about pulling out the motor myself if I can’t find a mechanic to do it.
You're putting the cart ahead of the horse , I wouldn't buy parts until you know what you need. It's not as simple as swapping out parts , you need to find out what went wrong. It's better to do it right the first time , rather than twice.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
That sounded like an awful heavy tapping for a valve. Plus they tend to tighten as they get more miles on them, not looser. At least that has been the experience of the few on here that have adjusted them. Mine is just short of 40,000 miles and they've never been touched. I really hope it is something that simple, but at least they can have a good look at it while they are in there.
Same here, mine's about 300 miles away from 40,000. Valves never been touched. Still nice and quiet. My experience with using Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas, at around one ounce per gallon, is it does the valves a YUGE favor. I had a 1981 Honda CBX (owned it 16 years), used MMO religiously every tank, even on long trips. At 60,000 miles, one of the 24 valves needed to be adjusted by one shim size. Bike had around 10,000 when I bought it. I use the MMO in all three of my bikes, and all three of my cages. My 98 Ranger (bought it with 10,000 on it in Jan. 2000) has never had to have a valve job, going on 183,000 miles.

My Nine rattles a little at idle. Up the idle speed to 1100, it no longer does. Pull in the clutch lever, it gets quiet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Pull the engine myself and this was the problem. I think I might have double posted ( so sorry if I did had trouble trying upload the picture). My question now; since all is new to me, do I have to release the pressure on the valves by opening the clutch case or can I just replace the camshaft journal holder without removing the clutch case. Thanks and sorry again

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I've heard if you overdo the clutch push-pin mod it can starve the rear cylinder top end of oil.
Can you explain that little bit more about what you just said because I have finally found a mechanic to do the work with me ( which makes my life easier). This is his opinion of what happened; the upper head cracked because of lack of oil, we have pulled out the entire rear cylinder head and will be replacing the entire upper head as well as the oil pump. Right now we are having a problem finding a rear intake cam. Thank you for replying but please explain the clutch issue.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts