M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I took the 9 for a ride to the gas station to fill up. I didnt put on my helmet since I was only going 3 blocks.

I noticed that when I a bump there is a weird & annoying rattler sound at the rear of the bike. I spent the past few days trying to figure out what it could be.:-\

I took the rear tail apart & found nothing that could be loose.
could it be the rear pegs or the exaust ???

ANY IDEAS ???

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
What do you run for pipes? I had the baffles break in both sets of V&H pipes I've had. Made a very annoying rattle.

G

·
Not saying this is it but I've hit bumps and had the sidestand bounce off it's resting spot. It makes sort of a clank. But just one sometimes two.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the exhaust is stock but not sure if the baffles were cut.

maybe they are still in there.

since my wife has no desire to ride with me, im gonna take off the rear pegs completely.

im gonna zip tie the kickstand tight to see if it still happens. (yes i have a wheel chuck.)

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
How about checking the rear rotor. Just grab it and see if it moves side to side and makes noise.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about checking the rear rotor. Just grab it and see if it moves side to side and makes noise.
I checked that 2 times:-[

·
Registered
718 Posts
do a search for clunks - lol, I have posted about this and so have a lot of people. usual low speed or fast bumps such as lane reflectors that jars the bike without taxing the suspension.

Kick stand seemed to be the most common argument, I taped mine and it still did it. 7000 miles later, haven't heard/felt it much anymore. Maybe I got use to it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I did find that if I have the rear brake lightly applied, there is NO rattle. I do have a loose rotor, and have been to the dealer where it was bought, they said nothing is wrong. When I complained about the squeel coming from the rear brake, they told me to use the front brake, leave the back one alone? You might try going over some bumps where you hear it rattle, then go back and try it again with some pressure on the rear brake? Good luck!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I noticed a rattle noise the other day. Sounded like a loose bolt or something rattling at certain rpms. Found that the seat was rattling on the latch. Unlatched it and latched it back have not heard since. Just one thing u might want to check.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know its not the rear seat cowl. i put a piece of rubber hose around bar that holds the back of it on so it doesn't move & keeps an even gap all the way around.

I will double check the rear break caliper, I know there is always a little pressure on the rear rotor for some reason.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Miguel, Mine does it too. It sounds like it is comming from the rear. Not the hub but the tail section or around the back left area. If I try to listen down low you can't hear it. Only when you sit up strait.
I just went out side & took off the seat & cowl. It looks like my latch cable was rattling in there. I will ride it tomorrow & see if that was it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Rode a little today, I did not hear rhe rattle. On mine, the rattle was what I tnhought it was. The cable for the seat release vibrating against the plastic side panel.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update:

found the problem a few months back, it was the rear rotor. got a replacement from Hyperpete. he offered me a free rotor. :bigthumbsup:

no more rattle :hot:

·
Registered
423 Posts
My rear rotor was bad too. What is up with that and dealerships/Suzuki ignoring the issue. It is not "normal" for a floating rotor to literally FLOAT, mine was very loose and potentially dangerous if it popped completely out of the rivets, could have wedged and locked the rear tire up. But, oh ya, the dealership said to leave the rear brake alone in the previous post and just use the front. Guess Suzuki just put a rear brake on for looks and intended for users to just use the front brake. These are faulty rotors and should have been recalled. I got a Galfer Wave rotor on there now, looks great :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
The rattle on the back of mine is the license plate rattling against the home-made metal brackets of my debeaver jobbie. Or was that is. I put some "Supervisor Tape" on the brackets and re-installed the plate, no more rattle.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
A few days ago I took the 9 for a ride to the gas station to fill up. I didnt put on my helmet since I was only going 3 blocks.

I noticed that when I a bump there is a weird & annoying rattler sound at the rear of the bike. I spent the past few days trying to figure out what it could be.:-\

I took the rear tail apart & found nothing that could be loose.
could it be the rear pegs or the exaust ???

ANY IDEAS ???
What type of rattle, like metallic, or something vibrating? My rear cowl would vibrate at certain rpm's. I took some thick adhesive backed weather stripping and attached it to the cowl and that took care of it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So I took my bike into the dealership to see if they would replace the rear disc brake. Rather than giving a long drawn out explanation of my problem I did the following: I showed the service manager how the disc brake looked on a M109 that was sitting on thee showroom floor. I asked him if that is what the rear disc brake is supposed to be like; tight, and with no wobble. He agreed that the tightness of the rear disc brake was as it should be from thee factory. We then walked out to my bike and I showed him how loose my rear disc brake was. He agreed that i had a problem. Two weeks later I have a new rear disc brake installed, and new "bolts" that hold the rear disc brake to the center mount.

Now my bike is nice and quiet, no more rattling sound coming from the back side....

Droid-X via Tapatalk

·
Registered
917 Posts
My rear rotor was bad too. What is up with that and dealerships/Suzuki ignoring the issue. It is not "normal" for a floating rotor to literally FLOAT, mine was very loose and potentially dangerous if it popped completely out of the rivets, could have wedged and locked the rear tire up. But, oh ya, the dealership said to leave the rear brake alone in the previous post and just use the front. Guess Suzuki just put a rear brake on for looks and intended for users to just use the front brake. These are faulty rotors and should have been recalled. I got a Galfer Wave rotor on there now, looks great :bigthumbsup:
I had the same issue shortly after buying my nine (maybe three months), took it to the dealer they said it was out of spec and called Suzuki. Suzuki replaced it under warranty. No more rattle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts