M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, had my first run with my uncles v-rod. I have to say the bikes are really equal. We never ran from a dead stop but from 15 on up. Some times I would get him, other times he'd get me. Depends on who hit the rev-limiter first. First run he pulled away from me very slowly from 50 to 90 but the next time I pulled from him the same. I did think the 109 would do better but was not disappointed. I paid a hell of alot less for my bike than he did. I think from a dead stop I would have gotten him but it was his brothers bike and he didn't want to take a chance and let it get out from under him. He also had the same v-rod but sold it last year so he does know how to ride it. Didn't bother me one bit how they ran. I do have to say I really like the look of the v-rod when you see them riding beside you but when you part them together, the 109 is a brute.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
ditch said:
 Well, had my first run with my uncles v-rod. I have to say the bikes are really equal. We never ran from a dead stop but from 15 on up. Some times I would get him, other times he'd get me. Depends on who hit the rev-limiter first. First run he pulled away from me very slowly from 50 to 90 but the next time I pulled from him the same. I did think the 109 would do better but was not disappointed. I paid a hell of alot less for my bike than he did. I think from a dead stop I would have gotten him but it was his brothers bike and he didn't want to take a chance and let it get out from under him. He also had the same v-rod but sold it last year so he does know how to ride it. Didn't bother me one bit how they ran. I do have to say I really like the look of the v-rod when you see them riding beside you but when you part them together, the 109 is a brute.
They are pretty close but ran with a buddy who has a modified version this saturday. I had more left at the top end than he did. I was at 5000 rpms at 125 when we backed off. We were together but he was just about at his limit and said 130 would be about it. I have run with him rolling about 5 mph on my vtx and have more on the bottom end than him.

All said and done the x has the better hole shot and the 109 should be somewhere between the 2. The 109 and vrod have the advantage at the top end. From a standing start the vtx is hard to beat but the gears are not as long. I find that I am in 2nd on the 109 when I am in 3rd on my x. It is almost like the harley guys who are in 4th when I am in 3rd on the x.

The 109 should take both the x and the v rod if you are in and out of corners and doing anything more than a straight line. Not that the 109 wont be there on a straight line but it is like no other vtwin when it comes to handling. Absolutely fantastic.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Slightly off-topic.......but not.......lol......

My brother in law has a V-Rod. It's gorgeous, I must say. He's got at least 7k in it between chrome, pipes, etc...

He came over yesterday and I let him take the 109 for a spin. He says it rides 1000 times better than his rod and feels it has a ton more power. I haven't ridden his yet.......but will see for myself.

Also......he commented that he'd have no problem riding all day on my 109......but says he goes about 60 miles or so on his and is ready to pack it in. In breezy conditions, he says the 109 is better handling by far. Says he feels he's fighting his rod all the time to try keeping it on the road.

Kinda thought those were telling comments from someone who spent double what I did. I just smiled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
view from the other side...

i own a 2004 hd vrscb v-rod with 2500 miles. my brother, a 2006 m109r with 3000 miles.
we are 40+ and have been riding since childhood. both have owned a lot of bikes.
both the m109r and v-rod are box stock. both black. both great bikes.

i found a couple of sites that have posted quarter mile times, and these number
are exactly what we are experiencing:

>> vRod: Quarter-mile: 11.91 sec., 112.6 mph
>> m109r: BONE stock 12.2 @ 108+

from rolling starts anywhere from 10mph to 60mph we get the same results:

i walk away from the m109r up to 130mph (indicated). we always run out of
road before he can prove his assumption that he has more top end.

we both feel that the v-rod handles better. especially in the corners. both
bikes are a lot of fun, and we put about 100 miles on them each time we
go out, blasting around the country side.

and yes, the m109r cost less... he is considering a screamin eagle v-rod in
order to get the best of me. i am not considering a m109r... {grin}

but it is a great looking bike, and performs well.

-jeff k.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
are we talking plain old V-Rods or screaming eagle V-Rods? I ran the screaming eagle variety owned by a board member who used to own a 109 and we stayed dead even all the way to 100mph when we both backed off. My 109 only has modded pipes and the JSD so far. I have a power commander and intake kit in the garage but need to schedule dyno time so I can get a before number then do the mods and then get an after number. His Rod has a 240 on back but since it is on a skinnier rim than ours it looks quite a bit smaller form the back. :bigthumbsup:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
jeffk said:
view from the other side...

i own a 2004 hd vrscb v-rod with 2500 miles. my brother, a 2006 m109r with 3000 miles.
we are 40+ and have been riding since childhood. both have owned a lot of bikes.
both the m109r and v-rod are box stock. both black. both great bikes.

i found a couple of sites that have posted quarter mile times, and these number
are exactly what we are experiencing:

>> vRod: Quarter-mile: 11.91 sec., 112.6 mph
>> m109r: BONE stock 12.2 @ 108+

from rolling starts anywhere from 10mph to 60mph we get the same results:

i walk away from the m109r up to 130mph (indicated). we always run out of
road before he can prove his assumption that he has more top end.

we both feel that the v-rod handles better. especially in the corners. both
bikes are a lot of fun, and we put about 100 miles on them each time we
go out, blasting around the country side.

and yes, the m109r cost less... he is considering a screamin eagle v-rod in
order to get the best of me. i am not considering a m109r... {grin}

but it is a great looking bike, and performs well.

-jeff k.
:welcome: Jeff but no need to dig up a post from May to try and prove a point. ::) V-rod is a great bike and so is the 109. Hope you didn't join the site today just to troll the site. :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
fyi: vrscb is the 1130cc v-rod. not a screamin eagle 1250cc

i joined because i have (or maybe had) been considering buying a m109r.
in fact, found a white one in modesto, CA that really caught my eye...
as my brother's is black... then i found a grey one near pittsburg CA.

i also belong to a bmw board as i have the k1200s on my wish list. in fact
i gave away an older bike to make room for it... but still have the v-rod,
a kaw vulcan and the ultimate American cruiser:

the 1999 Excelsior-Henderson Super X with 3800 miles. black, of course.

-jeff k.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Jeffk, tell your bud to spend the small amount of $$ on the JSD-3M and see if he changes his mind about wanting to buy a screaming eagle v-rod. From all accounts, it makes it much smoother to ride over a bone stock 109.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts