M109 Rider Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,958 Posts
Those are stock bones, so it's not lowered. You can tell by the casting ridges on the edges of them. The lower front of the exhaust is the most common place they drag, after the pegs. But the pegs fold so the exhaust gets some of the abuse.

The shock is stock too, but I can't tell what it is set at. They work like all shocks I'm familar with that use a ramp design to increase tension on the spring. It adjusts preload and raises or lowers the bike a bit, but not a lot. If you lift the rear tire off the ground and have a good grip, you can usually adjust it by hand, if not you need a spanner. The positions are numbered 1 through 7, with 7 being the stiffest.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As far as cornering. I went to a Metzler 260 rear and a 160 front, ( actually a rear tire mounted on the front ). Before with the stock size tires my friends on Street Glides could out corner me. Now they don't have a chance. I have worn the tiny arrows on the edges of the tread on my rear tire. I really felt the bike should have came this way.

·
Registered
2006 Silver M109R
476 Posts
As far as cornering. I went to a Metzler 260 rear and a 160 front, ( actually a rear tire mounted on the front ). Before with the stock size tires my friends on Street Glides could out corner me. Now they don't have a chance. I have worn the tiny arrows on the edges of the tread on my rear tire. I really felt the bike should have came this way.
Same, I switch to the Met 260 too and yes it does turn in much faster and easier than the E3 250.

·
Registered
2006 Silver M109R
476 Posts
First off I just want to say that you guys (if you are a gal then the 'you guys' covers you too) are great. Too many times I have joined a bike model specific forum and when you ask a question they treat you as if your post count is your IQ level. There has been none of that from the get-go. Thank You.

Hey UVATom,

I do have a shop manual. I also noticed that you list Concord as your home base. My best friend lives 3 miles up from Concord in a subdivision by Interstate 460 toward Lynchburg. I ride up to his house as often as I can. Maybe we can hook up sometime.
I live off 24 - about 5 miles towards Rustburg from Concord. Shouldn't be a problem but unfortunately, I don't get to ride on the weekends much anymore. Kids and the wife works weekends now.

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,848 Posts
I have run the 260 <EDIT: 160, NOT 260!> in front too. There are definitely pros and cons. Personally, I did not care for the somewhat "heavier" or "slower" steering, but it wears far better than the stock 130, and seems more stable on the highway, especially over "tar snakes."
It's a personal preference. I'm now running a 150 front tire, but have not ridden it enought to provide qualified feedback.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,586 Posts
I have run the 260 in front too. There are definitely pros and cons. Personally, I did not care for the somewhat "heavier" or "slower" steering, but it wears far better than the stock 130, and seems more stable on the highway, especially over "tar snakes."
It's a personal preference. I'm now running a 150 front tire, but have not ridden it enought to provide qualified feedback.
A little missprint ...LOL... cheers! 🍻

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,848 Posts
Reactions: thevili

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks to all for the conversation, tips, and technique suggestions.

I think I will offer up to Adam to just spend some more time practicing in empty parking lots to hone his skills and learn his bikes abilities and limitations better.

When I had the bike 2 days ago to get pics of the rear suspension, I looked at the tires again. In a previous post I said I put a 250 on the rear (I was going off of what's left of my memory). It is in fact a 260/40 Metzler Marathon Ultra with a born date of 43rd week of 2018. The front tire is a stock size Shinko with a born date of 33rd week of 2018.

I can suggest to him about changes in the suspension (stiffer front and rear) but man, I sure would hate for his bike to lose how smooth it rides otherwise, especially considering how much I ride it too :).

Again,
Thank You

John

21 - 31 of 31 Posts