M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to a 160/60/18 Roadsmart some time ago, and the close clearance to the front fender worried me. Like if I picked up a piece of gravel and it caught in the fender.
I saw some brackets on Ebay, but they were over $100 shipped. I'm sure they are very nice, but I guess I'm too cheap to pay $100 for something I can make in the garage for a few bucks.
I made 4 flat brackets, 2 long with 4 holes, and 2 short with 2 holes out of 1/8 inch aluminum stock I had.. I bought 6 bolts and 6 nylock nuts (ss 6 mm fine thread) for $12. I bolted the brackets to the outside of the "ears", and used the nylock nuts to secure the original mounting bolts. Of course I'm 1 stock bolt short, I'll get one later. I raised it about 3/4 inch. You can just see part of the rear bracket, the front one is covered by the fender.
Now I can quit worrying.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
SWEET! I'm sure some fellow riders would like you to make some more of those, bro. $$$$$ :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would be interested in a set if you care to make more. I saw the ones on EBAY even though they look to be quality, the price is out of my league.

Thanks

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
very nice

A little shot of black paint and no one would even know they are not stock. And I am all for building or fabing something if I can. Good job.

I switched to a 160/60/18 Roadsmart some time ago, and the close clearance to the front fender worried me. Like if I picked up a piece of gravel and it caught in the fender.
I saw some brackets on Ebay, but they were over $100 shipped. I'm sure they are very nice, but I guess I'm too cheap to pay $100 for something I can make in the garage for a few bucks.
I made 4 flat brackets, 2 long with 4 holes, and 2 short with 2 holes out of 1/8 inch aluminum stock I had.. I bought 6 bolts and 6 nylock nuts (ss 6 mm fine thread) for $12. I bolted the brackets to the outside of the "ears", and used the nylock nuts to secure the original mounting bolts. Of course I'm 1 stock bolt short, I'll get one later. I raised it about 3/4 inch. You can just see part of the rear bracket, the front one is covered by the fender.
Now I can quit worrying.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Retired!

I'm not interested in making this a business. It's not hard, but time consuming with hand tools. Anyone with a hack saw and a drill can make these. Aluminum is real easy to work with. Just get some 1/8 inch by 3/4 wide stock at the hardware store, and cut, file and sand.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Good job Ed. I'm about to go to a 160 but I kind of like the look of the fender being so tight to the tire. Think I'll stay stock and if I hear a rock I'll stop and back up a bit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
:congrats:Great idea just what i needed when I upgrade to my bigger tires. Anyway u could show us some pics of the brackets u made?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Good job Ed. I'm about to go to a 160 but I kind of like the look of the fender being so tight to the tire. Think I'll stay stock and if I hear a rock I'll stop and back up a bit.
I'm with you. I think the fender being close to the tire is what makes it look badass. I never worried about rocks or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pictures of brackets

For those of you interested in doing this, I took it apart and took a shot of the brackets I made. It looked a little crooked, so I added 2 washers between the fender and bracket on the right hand side. Looks straight now.
I should mention that a small piece of the fender has to be removed at the bottom front part where it contacts the bolt, It files very easily, and you can't see it when installed. It looks like that has to be done on the Ebay one too. With that one, the main advantage is you don't need the 6 nylock nuts, but it shows more so your choice.
I know it looks cool real close, but don't forget the tire expands at speed.
If it doesn't bother you, also your choice, Ride safe brothers and sisters.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great job, I thnk what every one would like it if you could trace them out to a cut and apply pattern. Than post in actual size for ease of use the would be:2cool:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,945 Posts
CBR, that's a great mod and thanks for sharing it. When I wear this 2nd E3 250 out I plan on getting the Roadsmart and this will come in handy. :bigthumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts