M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've sprung a leak. Pin hole in radiator.. idk how to fix it but I want to buy a used one maybe. What years are compatible? I might try to get a business to repair it though. Any advice or help appreciated...

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
I just looked it up by P/N and they seem to have never changed the radiator, for all radiators are the same for the M. If you get a used one make sure you get it pressure tested before you bolt it all up. Wouldn't want to go through the hassle to do all the work and then find out that the used radiator has a leak as well.

·
Registered
2006 Silver M109R
476 Posts
I installed an aftermarket one that has 40% more capacity and came with a temp gauge. Been many years and not sure if it's still available or not. Would have to search for the box for the name brand if you are interested in going that route to get a new one

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,945 Posts
I installed an aftermarket one that has 40% more capacity and came with a temp gauge. Been many years and not sure if it's still available or not. Would have to search for the box for the name brand if you are interested in going that route to get a new one
Is that the one that Rainey (Revo Cycles) used to sell? I remember he did an extended capacity radiator as one of his first products for the 109.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Has overheating been a problem with the M109Rs? I have had no indication of overheating and I was just riding mine in FL recently. Also I have an aftermarket radiator grill that looks as if it is quite restrictive.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,945 Posts
Has overheating been a problem with the M109Rs? I have had no indication of overheating and I was just riding mine in FL recently. Also I have an aftermarket radiator grill that looks as if it is quite restrictive.
I don't recall overheating ever being an issue, at least not due to the radiator. I think that was one of the questions that was asked of Rainey when he came out with the thicker radiator, was why do we need it? I've seen overheating due to low fluid and stuck thermostats and fans not working, but not due to the radiator itself. Though posts about leaks seem to show up once or twice a year.

·
Registered
2006 Silver M109R
476 Posts
Tire kicked up a rock and started a leak. If I remember correctly it was cheaper than OEM so it was an easy choice for me. Larger and a temp gauge. I think most would be amazed to see how much the temp ranges on these things from moving to sitting still. When riding it ranges between 80° to 85° C depending on the air temp but sitting at a light for just a few minutes it gets up to the 105° C pretty quick then the fan cuts on.

The temp gauge came in handy when my thermostat stuck one warm winter day a couple years ago and noticed it was reading funny. I was riding and didn't notice one of the o-rings between the cylinders had blown.

As far as the brand it does look like it. Not sure about the gen 2 though. That doesn't ring a bell but it does sit at a different angle than the stock one. It has been many many years ago. I believe it was actually my first repair I had to do on my 06.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts