M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put some aluminium mesh in front of the radiator to protect it from any stray stones/objects that may decide to go through it. It was a pretty straight forward operation and doesn't look out of place. Just removed all the necessary bits to remove the original radiator guard and cable tied the mesh in place. Considered painting the mesh black but thought if the paint starts chipping off it would look ugly.

G

·
I think your fear is unfounded. I've run water cooled bikes many times over the years and never had a punctured radiator (Now you've done it Knock on wood :verymad: :verymad:). I don't know why but it's very rare.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
gradona said:
I think your fear is unfounded. I've run water cooled bikes many times over the years and never had a punctured radiator (Now you've done it Knock on wood :verymad: :verymad:). I don't know why but it's very rare.
I would agree. I had a liquid cooled bike for 12 years and not one problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't appear to run any hotter at all, only reason I did it is 'coz I have had a puntured radiator before and it was a nightmare getting a new one as it couldn't be repaired. Our roads in NZ are a lot different to the USA and the chip they use here is quite coarse. Also there seems to be a constant amount of road works all year round so really it probably only applies to our crap road surface, chances are I may have not needed it but at least I should be safe from that risk.

·
Registered
355 Posts
rynosback said:
I would agree. I had a liquid cooled bike for 12 years and not one problem.
Yeah I rechon bugger I had done 1500km and took a stone and put a hole in one of the tubes

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good idea PKN2 how is it down the naki. I reckon your roads are brilliant compared to ours around Coromandel, but the size of the chip is getting bigger, like riding on marbles sometimes. Where did you get your mesh from.
Looks good and very practical in NZ. I had my sump and oil filter taken out with road debri about 12 months ago, so the mesh needs to have some strength like chrome steel rather than Ali if possible.
Cheers from Whangamata
Phil

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just put a whole in my radiator this week :-[ I was thinking of doing the same thing while I had everything apart to put the new radiator in. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have never had to go to the effort to protect that area but dressing it up is always a plus. It Looked solid!!!!! :congrats:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts