M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to work this morning and after about an hour of my bike sitting I noticed a wet spot under her about 3 inches around. Looking around I see some coolant that is leaking from somewhere but not really sure where. I think there may be a small pin hole somewhere but I cant really tell.
Anyone know where I can find a decent price for a new one? Maybe a used one from someone who upgraded theirs?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Got to work this morning and after about an hour of my bike sitting I noticed a wet spot under her about 3 inches around. Looking around I see some coolant that is leaking from somewhere but not really sure where. I think there may be a small pin hole somewhere but I cant really tell.
Anyone know where I can find a decent price for a new one? Maybe a used one from someone who upgraded theirs?

Thanks,
Jason
If it is just a small leak, I have used alumaseal, it it has worked great.......Would need to get it directly into the rad somehow. Not sure if just putting it in the reservoir would do the trick.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
These bikes are notorious for have loose radiator hoses. Not saying that is your problem, but I would start by trying to tighten all the hoses.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
These bikes are notorious for have loose radiator hoses. Not saying that is your problem, but I would start by trying to tighten all the hoses.
Perfect,,,,,,,Look for the obvious,,,,,,,,,first lol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After further inspection I have found a spot on the radiator where there is coolant coming from. It seems to be a small hole there is leaving white residue in the area.
Any new Ideas?

Jason

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Are you positive it is the radiator and just not some spray that hit that area? If you are leaking, sometimes the air flow can play tricks and force the drip to hit a certain area.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
small radiator leaks

Try the quick setting JB weld as this stuff will fix anything and it beat the heck out of a $700 Radiator change, Thats what suzuki thinks this radiator on the 9 is worth, I told them they must have fallen and severely bumped their head if they thought I would pay them that much for this radiator with a small pinhole in it. good Luck, trust the JB weld it works everytime

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
After further inspection I have found a spot on the radiator where there is coolant coming from. It seems to be a small hole there is leaving white residue in the area.
Any new Ideas?

Jason
take the radiator to a radiator repair shop and have them pressure check it... if problem found they may be able to repair it at a low price

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
When my 9 leaked, it was the clamps on the upper radiator hose. It was dripping on the fins and blowing all over the engine. I tightened every clamp I could get a wrench or screwdriver on, washed off all the residue and went for a test-drive. No more leaky-leaky.

-Josh

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,770 Posts
take the radiator to a radiator repair shop and have them pressure check it... if problem found they may be able to repair it at a low price
:agree:
As I read all the replies, I was wondering when someone would suggest what to me is the obvious! Radiator shop! (After confirming the clamps are all tight...)

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
If it is just a small leak, I have used alumaseal, it it has worked great.......Would need to get it directly into the rad somehow. Not sure if just putting it in the reservoir would do the trick.

:doh::doh: Maybe if I was on a LONG trip and had no other option.

You also may want to preasure test the system or you can run a dye test also.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All fixed!! Bigpapa you are the man! Thanks for calling me yesterday. Its people like that make this a great site to be a part of.
Turns out I had the same problem many others have experienced. The damn hose connections were so lose I could turn them by hand. Got her all tightened up and let it run until the fan came on. No leaks!!

Thanks guys!

Jason

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,770 Posts
All's well that ends well! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
All fixed!! Bigpapa you are the man! Thanks for calling me yesterday. Its people like that make this a great site to be a part of.
Turns out I had the same problem many others have experienced. The damn hose connections were so lose I could turn them by hand. Got her all tightened up and let it run until the fan came on. No leaks!!

Thanks guys!

Jason
Glad to hear you got her good to go Jason. Stay in touch so we can hook up when you come back east :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts

Thanks guys!

Jason
See post #3....you're welcome...LOL :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts