M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
radiator leak should what should i use

noticed leak while riding last night, took all plastic off radiator is leaking , cant afford new one now what can i do, what do you think of the stop leak products

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,765 Posts
I personally prefer the silver powder-type products. A radiator shop can't repair it for you? Also, did you check all of the clamps? Maybe the coolant is running down a hose and it just LOOKS like the radiator itself is leaking...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
radiator leaking for sure, repair shop to call if he can fix if not i will try the powder

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
can you see exactly where the leak is? I think our radiators are aluminum so fixing the is tough, but what you can do if you can find and see the leak drain system down spread the cooling fins apart for easy axcess rough up the area with some sand paper or emery cloth and get your self some J B weld mix up some j b weld and just before you put the J B on clean well with some carb or break cleaner and blow dry and aply J B weld makeing sure to cover the area well and thick enough let set for a day and fill and check that is what i would do before i dumped anything other than antifreeze into my 9

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,765 Posts
can you see exactly where the leak is? I think our radiators are aluminum so fixing the is tough, but what you can do if you can find and see the leak drain system down spread the cooling fins apart for easy axcess rough up the area with some sand paper or emery cloth and get your self some J B weld mix up some j b weld and just before you put the J B on clean well with some carb or break cleaner and blow dry and aply J B weld makeing sure to cover the area well and thick enough let set for a day and fill and check that is what i would do before i dumped anything other than antifreeze into my 9
I would not do this if you plan to have a radiator shop try to repair it.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I would not do this if you plan to have a radiator shop try to repair it.
:agree: totaly but from my raceing days I was told once a alumium radeator leaks it is done but that has been a few years now so things might have changed!! thanks for clearing that up Hyper I should have included that NICE CATCH!!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone for the help , i did get radiator repaired, get to put it all together now ,oo joy

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I didn't have much luck with a radiator shop. Took it in twice and didn't stop the leak. Still weeped. Ended up putting a new on in. I think i'm going to take the old radiator and try the J B weld.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts