M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some kind of voodoo magic to taking this #$%&* radiator cowl off or what? :verymad:

I have removed all the bolts and fasteners I can see, as per the owner's manual... but something is still hanging it up on the bottom. I cannot see what it is, but I'm afraid to force the issue for fear of breaking something.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think I heard my dealer say something about sliding the tank back to get the cowl off.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zukii said:
I think I heard my dealer say something about sliding the tank back to get the cowl off.
Tank is completely off the bike...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had my off when I replace the wimpy horn. There are plastic pins going downward and also facing toward the rear of the bike.

Just lift upward and to the front tire , back and forth and it will come out. Round rubber washer are holding them. Take our time and wiggle !

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is there room behind the cowl to fit better horns?
Thinking of getting Stebel TM80 unless someone can suggest anything better

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Black Streak said:
I had my off when I replace the wimpy horn.  There are plastic pins going downward and also facing toward the rear of the bike.

Just lift upward and to the front tire , back and forth and it will come out. Round rubber washer are holding them. Take our time and wiggle !
Bingo! Wish I had read this before... ::) But anyway, I did figure it out. There are two grommets and pins, 90 degrees opposed. HOW NICE OF THEM TO MENTION THIS IN THE OWNERS MANUAL... NOT!!! Damn, can't wait 'til my shop manual comes in.

By the way... one of my headlight cowl bolts was crossthreaded (probably from the factory) and I had to dremel the f*ck out of it to get a scrwdriver on it after I stripped the hex. Put a little scuff in the cowl, too. :( Not too noticeable, though.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Black Streak said:
For the horn I used the Yamaha Stratoliner. Ask a dealer to honk one for ya and you'll hear. Very deep.
Does it fit right on the same bracket? Any mods necessary?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts